Recipes from around the Campfire

hoochfisher

Banned
chipolte bbq sauce

here's an easy one..

one bottle sauce of choice. (i like kraft hickory brown sugar sauce for a "sweet heat")

3 chiplote peppers from a can of chipolte peppers in adobe sauce.

place bbq sauce and peppers in blender, blend well.

hoochfisher

Banned
stuffed bugers

make two patties thin as half of your regular burgers, one an inch, inch and a half bigger than the other. on the smaller patty, place shredded smoked swiss cheese. if your brave add some chipolte peppers, i use one with the sauce from the can, or two rinsed.
place larger patty on top and seal two patties together well. season with mc'cormick's grill mates montreal steak seasning, a little worsch. sauce and a splash of liquid smoke. grill on a very hot grill about 3-4 min each side.

and your bun selection will completly change up the flavor for you.
try the french ham. rolls at the publix bakery. or if you want big taste, take a focicia hamburger bun, cut, apply a small amount of olive oil and grill untill toasted well, you should see some char on it.

Sirduke

My nephews call em Unka Mikeys Meatsticks, but call em what you like they are good.

SirDuke's Shiskabobs

3-5 lbs deer, pork, or tenderized beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/2 cup seasoned salt
1/4 cup paparika
1/2 to 1 tbsp red pepper (adjust to taste)
1/4 cup fresh diced garlic
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 cup brown sugar

Mix all dry spices into a large bowl, whisk until completely blended.
Add crushed garlic, whisk again.

Allow meat to come to room temp, add to bowl and work all spices into meat by hand, until no dry seasoning is left. Cover bowl, place in fridge overnight.

Skewer up on bamboo skewers, packing tightly leaving appx 1 1/2 inches of skewer clear at end.

Grill over a medium heat, rolling occasionally to ensure even cooking.

Serve with yellow rice and sweet tea, or beer if you prefer.

Swat nephews with rolled up newspaper or stick when sword fighting breaks out with empty skewers.

murf

My mom's wine cake;

one box yellow cake mix
one box vanilla pudding, small
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup cooking sherry

Mix all ingredients well
pour into a greased bundt pan
350° oven for 45 mins
let cool for a while before dumping out

Fletch_W

Banned
Pink Lemonade Pie

Super Easy.

1- 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1- 12 oz can of Cool-Whip
1- small can of frozen pink lemonade concentrate or half a big can.
1- graham cracker crust (some brands you may have to bake, do this first because this pie doesn't get baked, it's a frozen pie.)

Combine all in a bowl, then fill up the pie crust. There will be more filling than crust, heap it high. Freeze it. Done.

Fletcher's Shrimp Poppers

I discovered these in a bar in NYC several years ago, they were called "Cowboy Kisses". Needless to say, I choose not to serve my friends "Cowboy Kisses."

Serves six as an appetizer. Total time ~30 minutes.

12 medium shrimp, peeled.
6 medium jalapenos
12 strips of bacon
1 small can of Philedelphia Cream Cheese.

Cut the Jalapeno's in half lengthwise, remove stems and seeds. If your guests are fiery, leave the 'ribs' inside the peppers, they are hot.

Spoon cream cheese into each pepper. Place the shrimp on top. Wrap together with a stip of bacon and skewer. Make sure you oil your skewer first or your final product won't come off very easy. And if using wood/bamboo skewers, make sure you soak them in water first or they'll burn.

Grill them over direct heat until the bacon is crispy, then move them off to the side and let them cook for another 10 minutes with the lid closed.

Or, bake them in the oven at 375 until the bacon is crispy.

Depending on the size of your peppers, shrimp, thickness of your bacon, and heat of your grill, actual cook time will vary. Make 14 poppers so you can test one.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Here is one for those of you who like fish with a little spice but are getting tired of the same old Creole stuff. This one comes from a place a little more exotic than Louisiana.

Tagine of Fish

Ingredients:

• 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons flat parsley (Italian), chopped
  • 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

• 1½ lb of ocean fish fillets (snapper, grouper, tilapia, etc.)
  • 3 potatoes, sliced into ¼â€� slices
  • 3 tomatoes, sliced into ¼â€� slices
  • 1 green pepper, sliced into ¼â€� strips (use Pablano peppers for more “heatâ€�)
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • Fresh, ground black pepper to taste

Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic cloves into a paste with the salt. When that is done, add the parsley, cilantro, paprika, cumin and pepper. When those have formed a paste, slowly mix in the olive oil.
Rub the mixture onto both sides of the fish fillets, saving the extra. Set the fish aside for at least 20 minutes.
Heat the oven to 400°
Toss the potato slices with the remaining spice mixture. “Grease� the bottom of an ovenproof dish with olive oil (a tagine is best). Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish. Place fish on top of the potatoes.
Mix ½â€� teaspoon of salt and a grinding of black pepper with the lemon juice and sprinkle onto the fish.
Layer the rest of the potatoes on top of the fish then layer the tomato slices and pepper strips on top of them.
Cover the dish and place in the 400° oven for 40 minutes. When the 40 minutes have past, remove the cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the edges of the potatoes and tomatoes begin to turn brown.
Remove from oven and let sit, uncovered, for 5 minutes before plating.
Serve with Jasmine Rice.

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 4
Oven Temp: 400°

***NOTE*** This can also be done in a dutch oven or tagine directly over the coals too.

24tesla

Pink Lemonade Pie

Super Easy.

1- 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1- 12 oz can of Cool-Whip
1- small can of frozen pink lemonade concentrate or half a big can.
1- graham cracker crust (some brands you may have to bake, do this first because this pie doesn't get baked, it's a frozen pie.)

Combine all in a bowl, then fill up the pie crust. There will be more filling than crust, heap it high. Freeze it. Done.

Another variant, my kids love. Kool-Aid Pie
1 package of Kool-Aid (Any flavor, but we like green as it taste like key lime pie)
1 large container of cool whip
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 graham cracker crust.

Mix Condensed Milk, 2/3 of cool whip, and kool-aid til all is mixed good. (No clumps of kool-aid as it will be bitter)
Place in pie crust. Layer remaining cool whip on top, chill for at least one hour.

24tesla

Darn Good Pie

Yes that is the name, Darn Good Pie:
1 small can of Crushed Pineapple (about 8 oz.)
1 7oz bag of Coconut
1 stick butter melted
2 cup sugar
5 eggs
2 frozen pie crust

Use fork, Peirce sides and bottom of crust several times. Place in 400
degree oven until it dries and starts to cook, do not brown it. Take it out
as soon as it starts to brown.

Mix above ingredients, and pour equal amount in each crust. Bake in 325
degree oven for 40 to 45 min or until center is no longer loose.

drumbum77

Banned
You have never had guacamole until.....

My mother would kill me for sharing this, but it is so good that I must. I grew up in Texas eating to good ol Tex Mex and have never had any Guac that compares. Make it the next time you have company over and everyone will be fighting for it. :hammers:

1 1/2 cup of mashed avocado (approximately 2 avocados)
2 tsp grated fresh onion (the finer the better)
1 t lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped peeled tomato
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce

Mash the avocados and sprinkle with lemon juice. Stir in remaining ingredients and refrigerate. :stir:

Tip: To keep dip from turning brown while in refrigerator, cover with plastic wrap and make sure wrap touches the top of the dip. :bounce:

I hope everyone enjoys.

Let me know what ya think. :cheers:

StriperAddict

Walt's Green (Tomatillo) Salsa

I just made a couple of batches of this over last week. I got the idea from a friend at work, and made some of my own changes to it !

Walt's Green (Tomatillo) Salsa

Ingredients:
  • 15 to 20 med. tomatillios, cleaned and quartered
  • Juice from 8 oz. can of pineapple (and 1/2 handful of chunk pieces cut up small)
  • Juice from 1/2 fresh Lime
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 to 3 Jalapeño (hot) >OR< Serrano (mild) peppers, de-seeded
  • A small amount of oregano, fresh or from the spice rack
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped fine and cut off as much of the stems as possible
  • 8 small scallion onions, chopped into small pieces using half of the green section.
  • Salt to taste, usually 2 pinches will do it.
Directions:
Put the quartered pieces of the tomatillos in boiling water and blanch them for about a minute to two minutes. Drain off the water thru a strainer, but take the stock water from the blanched tomatillos for the first step, especially if you use a high speed blender or Vita-Mix.. Cut the blanched pieces up in small pieces.

In a food processor (or Vita-Mix), put in the Pineapple juice, Lime juice, garlic, peppers, oregano and half of the blanched tomatillos, along with any stock liquid and chop up all these ingredients very well.
You are looking to get the peppers all mixed in so that there isn’t any bite of a large piece of pepper or garlic.
Set this aside in a bowl, then and add the remainder of ingredients… the other half of the tomatillios, cilantro, onions, pineapple chunks and salt. Mix well, chill and enjoy with your favorite chips.

This should yield about 16 to 20 oz. of Salsa

Last edited:

MoonPie

Cheeseburger pie

CHEESEBURGER PIE

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 large potatoes, cooked & mashed
4 slices American cheese

Mix all ingredients except potatoes and cheese. Spread mixture over bottom of 9” pie pan,to resemble pie crlust. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Carefully drain excess fat from pie pan. Cover hot meat mixture with the 4 slices of cheese. Swirl mashed potatoes on top toresemble meringue. Put under broiler to melt cheese and lightly brow top of potatoes. ENJOY!!

Jean McCraney, daughter-in-law of James McCraney

MoonPie

Onion pie

ONION PIE

1 cup ritz crackers (crushed)
1 stick butter, melted
2 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced
2 tsp butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 tsp. salt
dash pepper
1/4 cup grated, sharp cheddar cheese
paprika
parsley

Mix cracker crumbs with melted butte. Press in 8 inch pie plate. Saute onions in 2 tablespoon butte until clear, but not brown. Spoon into crust. Beet eggs together with milk, salt, pepper and pour over onions. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center come out clean. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. (serves 6-8).

JoAnn Watkins, daughter of Emma McCraney Pybus.
(this is one a dem ol, old recipes from a Alabama mommy who knew how to cook)

P C I

Oreo cookie dessert

1 package Oreo cookies
1/2 gallon ice cream
1 jar fudge sauce
1 container Hershey's chocolate syrup
1 container Cool Whip

Crush Oreos up finely (food processor works great)
Spray 9x13 pan with Pam. Press oreos into pan. Place in freezer to set up.
Pour Hershey's chocolate syrup over oreos. Place in freezer to set up.
Spread softened ice cream over syrup. Place in freezer to set up.
Pour fudge sauce over ice cream. Place in freezer to set up.
Spread Cool Whip over fudge sauce. Cover and freeze.
Enjoy!

You can substitute caramel, nuts, any topping or flavors you want

Woodscrew

Woodscrew's Cheesy Chip Dip

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground sausage
1 lb. velveeta cheese
1 reg size can cream of mushroom soup

Brown beef and sausage and drain. Add cheese and mushroom soup and heat and stir until all is hot, melted and blended and serve. Its simple and taste great.

Last edited:

mikel

liver and heart recipe

deer liver, cleaned and sliced
~ buttermilk or plain milk
~ seasoned flour
~ oil
~ large onion, sliced into rings
~ milk

Soak liver in milk for a couple of hours.

Season some flour to taste with salt and pepper, seasoning salt or your favorite seasonings.

Heat some oil in a large skillet.

Remove the liver from the milk and coat with the flour.

Fry the meat on both sides until almost done. Place on a warm plate.

Caramelize the onion rings in the oil. Remove to the plate with the liver.

Remove all but 2 - 3 tablespoons of oil from the skillet. Stir in 2 - 3 tablespoons of the seasoned flour. Stir in enough milk to make a gravy. Heat and stir until thick and bubbly.

Add the liver and onions. Stir, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

For a different taste, add fresh horseradish in the gravy instead of the onions.

1 deer heart
Kosher salt
Flour for dusting
1 onion, sliced into half-moons
2 green bell peppers, sliced into strips
1 jalapeno or serrano chile, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Black pepper
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
Slice the heart into cutlets by cutting it in half, or in broad slices. Place it between two sheets of wax paper and beat it with a mallet. Be careful not to rip the meat or the wax paper. You want the cutlets thin.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and saute the onions and peppers until the skin on the peppers just barely begins to separate. Salt them well and add the oregano and mix well, then set aside.
Wipe the pan clean and add more olive oil. Salt the heart cutlets well and dust them in flour. Turn the heat up to high until the oil is almost smoking, then add the cutlets. Sear for 1-3 minutes per side, depending on how thick you make the cutlets. Turn only once.
To serve, put a little of the peppers and onions on the plate and top with the cutlet. Grind some black pepper on top and enjoy!

ugadawg88

Good ole pork butt

So I worked at this small BBQ place in watkinsville and learned a thing or two about smokin a butt. So here is a recipe from there that i tweaked a little:

1. A couple butts.
2. A simple rub. (All i put on mine is salt, pepper, paprika, Garlic powder, and a little onion powder.)
*3. Oak for smoking
4. Apple juice and cider vinegar

First start the smoker of course. You are going to want a temp of 220 degrees. Rub the butts down, but most importantly don't cover the butts with an outrageous layer of rub. The fat cap on the meat will provide an extreme amount of flavor. Throw them on the smoker with the fat side up so all of the flavor drains down into the meat. Smoke like this for 3-5 hours depending on the size of the butt. While it is smoking spray about every 30-45 minutes with a mixture of about 3 parts apple juice and 1 part cider vinegar. Just spray a couple of times, don't douse it in the mixture. After about 3-5 hours take the butts off of the smoker and wrap them in *heavy duty aluminum foil for the remaining 3-5 hours. This will allow the juices of the meat to sit in the foil and let the butt soak them all up. After the meat is finished cooking let them sit for about 15-30 minutes. The bone should pull right out and the meat should just pull right apart. Enjoy

Georgiagator

deer jerkey
deer sliced very thin what ever amount you want to jerkey
after slicing put deer meat in a freazer bag with some wichickier sauce some liquid smoke and a little bit of honey and some season pepper. put in fridge for at least 24 hours then put it in a dehyridor for at least 12 hours

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Alligator Beignets

1 egg beaten
1 lb chopped cooked gator meat(I cooked mine just before mixing)
4 green onions chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp melted butter
1/3 cup flour

After cooking gator meat mix all the above in a bowl until combined completely. Heat oil in a skillet deep enough to fry beignets. With a table spoon scoop up the mix and ease into hot oil one spoon full at a time. Skillet should hold four or five without them touching. Fry to a golden brown on both sides.

Dipping sauce

3/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 tsp prepared horseradish

Blend the ingredients and add hot sauce to taste.

Last edited:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Potato Soup

Boil potatoes until tender and coming apart
Mash and add small container of heavy whipping cream
Add chicken stock until the soup is as thick or thin as you like
Add 4oz of sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons of butter

Slice an onion real thinly and lightly batter and fry
Fry bacon real crisp
add onion and bacon to the surface of the soup and add cheese if you like. I do.

Attachments

• 1 .JPG
    1 .JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 1,937

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Fried Pecan Mini Pies
In a sauce pan combine 1 cup of sugar,2/3 cup light corn syrup,1/3 cup butter, and 2 eggs. Mix until blended.
Add 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
Bring to a small boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes( it will become dark brown)

Crust: We use a quality store bought pie crust.( you may use a home made pie crust recipe) Roll thin and cut with a cookie cutter or glass.
Fill with pie filling ,fold over and pinch closed.
Fry in an iron skillet ,with a very shallow layer of oil, on both sides.

Attachments

• 2AA .JPG
    2AA .JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 1,969