Reckon it'll work

GA1dad

At the flea market today I talked myself into buying a couple of vintage telescoping rods. One of them is a 16' Johnny Walker Sunday pole. The whole time I was looking it over I pictured myself about waist deep in the surf using it to catch pompano and other fish that tend to run up and down the breakers and sand bars. The last couple of years I've really been focusing on not casting past the fish,, reckon a 16' telescoper would be effective?

Rabun

That's an interesting find. Like to see a picture. I wonder if it's one of those European jobs they use for bank fishing?

GA1dad

That's an interesting find. Like to see a picture. I wonder if it's one of those European jobs they use for bank fishing?

It's nothing special,,,, just an older brown fiberglass cane pole style rod. The only thing cool about it is it's vintage and it telescopes out to 16 feet.

A lot of times when I surf fish I will get into the water and stand there holding my rod waiting to feel a light tap. Very frequently you will see fish swimming very near you. Seeing this old fiberglass cane pole style rod made me think it might be a good opportunity to try it in the shallows close to the shore. Maybe even dangle on a small jig and work an area.

Here's some pictures I borrowed of the internet.

JW Rod.jpg

Rabun

I’d like to see how that works for you. I’m thinking wading the flats along the grass line doodling for flounder also. Does it have line guides on it? Definitely catch some brim with that puppy…get a tube of crickets and have at it. Might be good getting to some of those hard to reach trout holes as well…stream trout not specs.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've got one of those, a 12 footer. They were made much better than the telescope poles you get today.

I'm a surf fishing guy, and I can absolutely see how your idea might be a very good one...

Let us know how it goes!