Recommend me a kayak for getting to my hunting spot

Kris87

Need some advice from you guys with kayak experience. I have a piece of property I hunt on the Oconee river that I can now only access by river. I have another piece of property I hunt down river that is only maybe 3/4 of a mile away. So it looks like I'm going to have to get in the river to get to my one spot. The only gear I need to transport is my backpack and my bow. If I kill something, I can deal with it another way.

What type of kayak should I be looking at? Sit in, sit on top? I have an easy spot to launch from, not sure about getting out as I haven't surveyed it yet.

Give me some thoughts. Thanks

Coenen

I was gonna say something like a NuCanoe Frontier with a trolling motor, but if you don't have to transport your kill, just about anything would work.

Money wise, a small flat bottom Jonboat with a troller might work nicely.

You have to float down and head back up?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Square stern canoe with a trolling motor. My yak would carry a deer along me but might not be the best choice.

Fletch_W

Banned
eddXhUu.jpg

that's a $750 suzuki 2.5hp that only weighs 29 pounds

pic from a Louisiana hunting forum

Kris87

I'm not concerned with getting a deer out. That's why I'm leaning kayak. I had a gheenoe, but it was simply too big for me to get in and out of the river where I have to put in. I'm trying to find something light enough I can actually pick up and store on the bank and not transport in and out each time. I want to leave it there all season.

Coenen

Do you have to paddle back upstream at day's end?

A basic sit inside is probably all you need. Perception makes a good boat that'll fit your needs. Academy will likely have a few on blowout pricing around the end of summer, right before hunting starts up.

Kris87

I have to paddle upstream to get there, so down coming out. I likely would only hunt this spot in the afternoons, so it'd be dark coming back down river. Not sure if I'd want to mess with it when it gets cold. But it is a great early season spot.

Kris87

The Oconee isn't very deep where I'm at either.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Kris, if you can find an early generation OK Big Game it will haul you, deer and the stand but it’s not light. The old ones should be dirt cheap, the new generation with the better seat for fishing are pricier. I’ve owned both models and currently fish from a new generation BG.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I would say a wilderness systems commander, which is sort of a hybrid . Itsa sit on top with no scuppers. But ut has the trihull design which make is very stable. Its the cousin of the
ride 135, which is one of the most stable sit on top yaks out there

Artfuldodger

I would say a wilderness systems commander, which is sort of a hybrid . Itsa sit on top with no scuppers. But ut has the trihull design which make is very stable. Its the cousin of the
ride 135, which is one of the most stable sit on top yaks out there
Wow! I want one of those, lol. Looks like the best of both worlds.

Artfuldodger

I think the sit in touring types would be better in a river. The sit on types are more for recreation. Maybe? But most of the fishing ones are sit op top. The sit on top ones are mostly flat with a tunnel hull design. Looks to float on top of the water, very stable. Thus why you can stand up and fish in the Wilderness Ride.

The touring "sit in" types look to be made like a canoe. The "sit in" with a skirt, might keep you warmer and drier if the weather is bad. This type might be easier to paddle back upstream. It rides in and cuts the water.
My concern would be which one would your backpack and bow store in the best?

I'm in the learning phase as well so can't offer any advice, just observations.

Artfuldodger

Usually some nice buys on Facebook Marketplace. If you wait towards the end of the summer, might be some even better deals. You should be able to find something used in the $300-$400 price range.

EJC

I’ve got an old town guide 119 I’d let go, it’s great boat for what your looking for. Very light weight and tough as nails. Let me know if you’d like some pictures.

Kris87

Friend has an Old Town Vapor 10...it looks to be what I'm looking for. It's sit in but the hull is very open, so my pack could go between my legs. I want something that tracks well and it seems the sit on top don't track as well.

Artfuldodger

Friend has an Old Town Vapor 10...it looks to be what I'm looking for. It's sit in but the hull is very open, so my pack could go between my legs. I want something that tracks well and it seems the sit on top don't track as well.
I like the hull design on the Vapor 10. I'm sure it will track better than a sit on top. Does it come with a seat that has a back?