Recommendation for local rebarrel?

Thread starter #1

GSUQUAD

Gonna rebarrel a mark v weatherby and started thinking about shipping it across the nation to have it done but figured I'd ask if anyone knows any good somewhat local gunsmiths that can do the job for me? Im in Macon and don't mind travelling a ways. Thanks

HughW2

Roger Ferrel in Fayetteville, GA.
RogersGunworks
Professional gunsmith with many years of experience.
Member of American Custom Gunmakers Guild
you can see some of his more elaborate work on ACGG website.

rosewood

Ocmulgee Firearms in Monticello. Banks Behling 706-319-2324. He does excellent work and does/did competitive rifle shooting. Good price also. Last time I talked with him, he was pretty busy, so not sure what the turn around time would be. He has rebarrelled 2 Mausers for me.

Rosewood

Thread starter #8

GSUQUAD

I ended up shipping the barreled action to WV to have Douglas put on a new barrel. A buddy of mine has had two done by them and he said both are excellent shooters so went that route. Thanks for the suggestions never know when they may come in handy.

Hogleg Smith near Oakwood rebarreled a Mark V for me.

It turned a 4 MOA rifle into a Sub-MOA rifle

I followed the recommend "break-in" procedure from the barrel manufacturer as per his recommendations and that thing shoots like a laser beam now!

Thread starter #15

GSUQUAD

I had to sand out the barrel channel a good bit to fit the 4 contour but it all went back together well.

I've loaded 160 TMK so far and best variations of charge powder and seat depth I got was .05 to .75 and some 150 eldx and 175 eld are next to try out.

Thread starter #16

GSUQUAD

I have left been wondering about them telling me they would square the bolt face and action. I saw no evidence of such on either. I have read before that mark v actions usually come from the factory pretty darn squared up to start with.. thought about calling and asking.