Recommendations for short recurve

Clipper

The Browning Wasp, 45#, 56" that I love and have been shooting for the last couple of years is developing a split in the upper limb, so I need to replace it. Can anyone vouch for a short recurve, 54-56" that won't require a loan to purchase (less than $350.). I would like one with a short riser so I don't get a lot of finger pinch. I draw about 27". I am watching ebay for Browning Wasps but they are very rare. I just don't know that much about modern recurve brands and would like some advice.

Todd Cook

I have a Bear "black bear" that's 56" I think. It's not pricey and a good treestand bow. Big Jim sells them or he did a couple of years ago anyway.

JB in GA

Keep an eye on Craig’s List. I am looking for a lower poundage recurve or longbow for my wife and I keep running across other deals. I have a 50# York Tracker (like a Grizzly) I can loan you if you are out of a bow.

little rascal

I didn't know what the model, but I have a Browning I have had since I was a young'un. I went to look after the opening post and sure enough it's a Wasp. It is a
45#/56", it has a slightly twisted upper limb from years ago where it was behind a truck seat a little too long. It shoots great and I have shot it for fun a lot. I have a 52# custom Great Plains recurve and a 60# Martin Longbow, but I would not be afraid to hunt with that Wasp at all. I have read some methods on how straighten the limbs that I might give a try.
You might try e-bay, I think I saw a Wasp on there this morning.

Clipper

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions for short bows. I won an auction yesterday for a Browning Nomad I, 45#, 52" recurve. I'm partial to Browning bows and I think this may be the same model I killed my first trad deer with. I paid about twice as much for it used as my dad paid for the new one he bought me in the mid sixties. I hope it shoots as sweet as the first one I had. 52" is a little shorter than I wanted but I only draw 27" so maybe finger pinch wont hurt me too bad.

Clipper

The Browning Nomad Stalker I bought came today. I made a string last night and it strung OK. No limb twist, splits, or cracks. Does have some scratches and spots with no finish but she has some age on her. No fancy wood but that is OK too. It seems like it is a good bit harder to draw than my 45# Wasp and starts stacking at about 26". It is cut a good bit past center and the shelf is almost flat so it will get a feather rest. I made the string loops too big so as soon as I get those reworked and the center served I will fling some arrows with it, hopefully.:)

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 9

longbowdave1

Loo
The Browning Nomad Stalker I bought came today. I made a string last night and it strung OK. No limb twist, splits, or cracks. Does have some scratches and spots with no finish but she has some age on her. No fancy wood but that is OK too. It seems like it is a good bit harder to draw than my 45# Wasp and starts stacking at about 26". It is cut a good bit past center and the shelf is almost flat so it will get a feather rest. I made the string loops too big so as soon as I get those reworked and the center served I will fling some arrows with it, hopefully.:)
Looks nice.

hambone76

Nice one! I hope it serves you well!