Recommended Youth Rifle

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Back the end of last year I got my 6 year old a tan savage axis in 308 took the spacer out and had to get new screws for the pad but he handles it pretty well, lil stiff on the recoil for him right now but in a sled that doesn't matter a whole lot and when he gets his chance on a deer the recoil will hopefully be the last thing he notices. If he wants to shoot just for fun he has a 410 and pawpaw (my dad) has plenty of .22s to load up for him

Robust Redhorse

I got my son a .243 to hunt with when he was 8. By the grace of the good Lord, he anchored his first 2 with less than great shots that broke spines.

I have become a believer in at least a .25 caliber for a youth rifle.

I know it is antidotal, but I have had several big game animals that were able to keep going several hundred yards after getting hit in the boiler room with a .243.

Last was a pronghorn in WY that got up after taking a lung shot with a .243. I handed my friend a .270 before the buck disappeared into the sunset and it went down for the last time after he made the shot.

I guess my thinking now is to not use something "marginal" as a youth rifle.

Give them something that doesn't kick very much, but you would be fine with if a 200 B&C buck showed up at your stand at a distance appropriate for the cartridge.

Buckman18

My daughter has a youth mossberg 243. I like the mossberg fine for the money, but I dont like the 243. Wish I would've got a 308 or 7mm08 for her.

FB_IMG_1598463981110.jpg

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Give the guy a 30-30 and a can a skoal. Tell him he's a sissy if he can't bust off a 30-30. Promise to not tell mama about skoal.

Deerhunter for life I promise.

Rich M

A 30-30 has about same recoil as 243. Shoot the 150s and you've got a fine deer killing cartridge. Get one of the old Savage bolts and load up some with pointed bullets, shoot 200 yds easy.

Same for 350 legend. This is a great cartridge - the recoil is more of a push than a snap.

Love the kangaroo comments! LOL!

RFWobbly

I have a wonderful youth-sized Remington 20ga !!

I bought it for my Club's Youth Program and hardly anyone has shot it in 3 years.