Recommended Youth Rifle

BeerThirty

Also, do yourself a favor and research recoil tables online. You'll be able to benchmark a variety of calibers. I think some will boil down to the build of your 12-year old as well. My first hunter was a string bean, nothing to him, so we went .243. My next hunter is beefier and I think I'm going to start him with a 6.5 CM.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
20 inches is very short.
Kids don’t have any business shooting 16 inch barrels.

Tight Lines

Looks like 16.1 to the end of the threads.

Ruger American® Rifle GO WILD® Camo Bolt-Action Rifle Model 26926

• Threaded barrel with factory-installed muzzle brake is cold hammer-forged, resulting in ultra-precise rifling that provides exceptional accuracy and longevity.
Yep, and it looks like testing was OK on a shorter barrel...I know some of the precision barrel makers won't make the shorter ones...

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-... majority of your,whip) less than longer ones.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Gator89

It wasn't on mine, but I think the version I have has a longer barrel than that. Here's a link to the one I have. I pulled flash hider since it left my ears ringing after the first deer I killed with it (first time I shot it without ear protection). It was way louder than my 300 Win mag with that flash hider.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ruger-american-65-creedmoor-rifle?repChildCatid=7263002

Specifications
  • Handedness: Ambidextrous
  • Barrel length (in.): 22
  • Action: Bolt
  • Rate of twist: 1 in 8 in. RH
  • Type: Centerfire

Hillbilly stalker

Remember weight is what helps control recoil. How are you hunting ? If your talking about lugging a rifle miles thru the mountains....I would be concerned. If your talking a couple hundred yards on pretty much flat ground To a stand or riding a 4wheeler.....not so much. A caliber I haven’t seen mentioned here and that is lower recoil is a 7 mm 08. It’s a very capable round. Most 12 year olds are a little tougher than you think, watch summer football practice sometime. Nothing wrong with a .243, that’s what I hunt with myself, but a 7mm is a better round for deer sized game in my opinion.

Addicted to Antlers

Remember weight is what helps control recoil. How are you hunting ? If your talking about lugging a rifle miles thru the mountains....I would be concerned. If your talking a couple hundred yards on pretty much flat ground To a stand or riding a 4wheeler.....not so much. A caliber I haven’t seen mentioned here and that is lower recoil is a 7 mm 08. It’s a very capable round. Most 12 year olds are a little tougher than you think, watch summer football practice sometime. Nothing wrong with a .243, that’s what I hunt with myself, but a 7mm is a better round for deer sized game in my opinion.

He will have a short walk and shooting in a Redneck Hunting blind with a max of 150 yards. I am leaning towards a 243. Looks to be a safe choice.

Last edited:

transfixer

Yep, and it looks like testing was OK on a shorter barrel...I know some of the precision barrel makers won't make the shorter ones...

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/#:~:text=If the majority of your,whip) less than longer ones.

The main reason being that all the powder likely isn't all burned up within 16inches, so it may not give ultra consistent accuracy ,, but that is going to depend on the ammo chosen, or the choice of powder used if reloading , picking the right combination of bullet and powder you can get sub moa accuracy out of a 16 inch barrel, the biggest difference between the shorter barrels and longer ones will be the velocity acheived, which likely won't be a big deal at woods hunting ranges,

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I wrestled with this as well when my son was little. Too much recoil vs too light a caliber w/less chance of recovery.

Decided on 308 w/managed recoil ammo.
Killed his 1 deer with it @ 8 years old. Almost 17 & has hunted with a 308 ever since.

TurkeyH90

I just went through all this. I wouldnt worry about the weight as I doubt he will be shooting freehanded and lightweight certainly effects recoil. LOP is critical. Went through a couple guns and ended up with a sawed off buttstock on my TC with 3030 barrell and Federal 125 HP. Sledgehammer. My 9 year killed 3 deer opening day including a nice 9pt. O recoil so he shoots it well. I have TC hotshot .22 that he practiced with on "deer" targets (I believe this was important). He made some impressive shots when it counted and dropped them in their tracks.20201017_102750_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Last edited:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I love my model 7 .243. It’s so small and light, but don’t let the size fool you, it’s a mighty fine gun.

lonewolf247

My vote would be a Weatherby Vanguard youth rifle, in .243, 6.5 creedmore, or 7mm-08, with 20" barrel. My son started with this exact gun at 10 years old, in .308, but he was a large for his age youth. It's a lifetime built rifle, and it comes with spacers for the stock, if you choose to stay with the same gun as they grow.

My son took over 15 bucks with this rifle, until he wanted to move up to another rifle. I still have this one set up as a youth rifle, and have let other youths borrow it.

It's the bottom rifle pictured. The other is a Howa youth rifle, in .223.

Attachments

• EDF9B393-7252-405D-A42E-D067552F9191.jpeg
    EDF9B393-7252-405D-A42E-D067552F9191.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 7

glynr329

243 Savage was a good gun when my boys was young but after chasing deer all over the country after being shot. I would go with the savage 6.5 or 7m-08 savage. Sweet shooting caliber and very accurate.

pacecars

I would also suggest the T/C Compass II Compact. I had the regular version in 6.5 Creedmoor and it was a tack driver and has light recoil. You can always get a full size stock as he grows. I don’t know the seller but this is a pretty good deal
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/899668635

pacecars

One of the advantages of the Compass is that the muzzle is threaded and when you put a suppressor on it also is an effective muzzle brake and reduces recoil and of course it is a little quieter which helps reduce flinching