Recovery question - Updated

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You have to make a concerted legal effort to recover game. Trespassing and hunting on the land of another without permission are not legal acts.

The solution to this problem is to know your neighbors and seek permission to retrieve ahead of time. The vast majority of neighbors will grant it. The few who don't are probably in need of prayer.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Funny how cow horns and 4 points don’t start fusses like this, bottom line is if it’s another persons property and you enter without permission…you are trespassing. A Game Warden will try to help you by talking to the land owner and keeping the peace, but unless the animal is evidence to a crime, he cannot confiscate it. Being a good sportsman and a good neighbor and speaking with adjacent land owners ahead of time and at a decent hour carries a lot of weight. That way you know where you stand ahead of time. The first thing a GW is likely to ask you is if you have spoken with the landowner already and if you have had run ins with them. That makes the GW‘s attempt to help you a lot harder because some people look at that as if he’s taking a side. Previous club members may have ruined it for you.

Beagler

I’m a property owner, if someone shoots a deer and it dies on my property they are more then welcome to retrieve it, even without my knowledge. However if they pull in my driveway and take the woods road to the back of my property I want to know what’s going on.(that would be common courtesy to knock on my door. I would get ticked off if someone was sneaking around and they’d know about it. They’d still get there deer though.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
In at attempt to add a little levity to this mess of a thread:

You might be able to get the GW to help you retrieve the deer if you told him that you shot it at night with an illegal weapon from a public road while intoxicated and then realized that you couldn't go get it because you didn't have permission.

If it were a nice deer you might be able to visit with it at one of State Offices after you got out of the pokey for filing a false report and some needful family might get to enjoy the meat.

WishboneW

There was this time last winter when someone was runnin beagles after rabbits in the pines behind my property. Well the thicket is on my property so you can guess where they all ended up. Let me tell you what! I sure as heck did absolutely nothing about it! ??people are crazy about little stuff nowadays.
Bet they would let you shoot rabbits their dogs ran if you asked

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I let a friend run his beagles on my place once the weather gets cool enough to run the rattlesnakes underground. He just runs them here unless he has a kid with him then he will call and ask if shooting one is OK.

I like to listen to a pack of dogs run and have no fear of them interfering with a deer hunt. Even if they did interfere, it's worth it to know that I had something to do with having an octogenarian out enjoying life in the woods with his dogs.

SC Hunter

If I can see the deer or its obvious he's not going far ie: he's pushing his face across the ground from 2 broke shoulders or I'm finding pieces of lung I'm going to get it. They will never know I've been there except maybe some blood where he fell and drag marks. I'm not calling for help, I'm not begging a neighbor, I'm simply going to get the deer and I would expect the neighbor to do the same.

Ugahunter2013

If it is the one I read it is because you used an acronym that everyone knows and is not allowed on the forum...but I might not have read every post in this slow moving car crash...

My post has been quoted a few times. I was not aware i used an acronym . If i did it was unintentional?

NiteHunter

Deer sure do make grown men act crazy! Respect the land and the animals we hunt. Respect your neighbors. Treat everyone how you'd like to be treated. That goes a long way in life not just hunting. I know it doesn't work for everyone or every situation but if you start off good hopefully it ends good.
Rant over thanks for reading. Happy Hunting!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Most folks will help if approached with courtesy and respect.