Red clover question

SRShunter

Is the red clover slow to establish like the white for a fall planting? Will it be more noticeable this fall during hunting season or will it really just stand out this coming spring? I planted medium red and yuchi arrowleaf

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
It'll be next spring when both of them will shine.

sghoghunter

I was wondering the same thing. I have an old pasture/pecan orchard that I’m thinking about making maybe an acre into a clover plot in the back next to the woods.

Ihunt

Red clover isn’t a perennial. Just pointing that out in case y’all didn’t know

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I was under the impression that it reseeded itself.

Canuck5

If I am raising red clover, to cut, bale and feed cattle with, which gets cut at the flowering stage, it may only last a couple years, before it thins out enough that you have to replant.

If you plant it, let it flower and go to seed ..... it will reseed.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Is crimson clover a better choice? I understand it is different from red clover.

Canuck5

Yes, it is different. Based on my (limited) experience, crimson will show up earlier than red clover, but die out and reseed in mid spring. Red clover has a deeper root system and "can" tolerate a lot more heat and drought than crimson and white clover.

I plant a mix of a lot of things, because, from a nutrition standpoint, I want the protein from clover to feed the deer as close to year round as I can.

Legumes.JPG

This was my medium red clover, which lasted thru the heat and drought (a 3 clover blend) ...... but I foolishly worked it up and replanted in September and was sorry because I did. We didn't get rain again till November.

This was oats, crimson, arrowleaf and medium red clover and the red clover was all it was left in September, 2016.

Medium Red 9-16.jpg

Canuck5

If I had left this medium red clover alone and just overseeded more clover and maybe wheat, I'd have been much better off, that year.

Canuck5

Reseeding forage.JPG
Reseeding Forage-1.JPG
Reseeding Forage-2.JPG

Canuck5

I still prefer a perennial white clover where it "makes sense", because I can get it to last a good long time, but I always hedge my bets, being in middle Georgia.

Crude protein.JPG

Canuck5

Suitability of red Clover, for Climate and unimproved soil ph.

The one "negative" to some red clovers is they typically have a "hairy" stem, which the deer/cattle may not prefer .... but if that is all they have to eat .....

One variety of medium red clover I am trying this year is Freedom! medium red clover. Just experimenting.

https://uknowledge.uky.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=anr_reportsRed Clover Suitability for climate and soil ph.JPG