Red Dot question???

longbowdave1

For those of you that have red dot or reflex sights on your Turkey guns, do you leave your sight turned on the entire hunt, or do you only turn it on when the birds approach? Just wondering about battery life. Thinking of going that route.

longbowdave1

2nd question. Those of you that use either style sight, do you like them ?? Or would you prefer another system if you had to set up another gun?

drewskyc

I don't use one but my son uses one of those red dot / green dot reticles from Truglo. I think it would depend on the situation to leave it off or on. With him he usually leaves it off and I call and if we hear a bird respond then he will click it on depending on how close the bird sounds. But other factors play into it. Especially considering how quiet birds get on their approach, etc. Long story short it sucks when you leave it on and the batteries run dead (I know ;))

longbowdave1

Does sound like something I would do. Figured I would carry extra batteries in my pack. The older I get the harder to see that front bead, sadly......

longbowdave1

drewskyc

The ring style reticle looks nice for gobblers. Has your son taken any birds with that set up yet?

He did! He bagged one on a quota hunt at Buck Shoals WMA last year. Good times man. He shoots a Mossberg Bantam 510 20 gauge with that exact site. all this talk of turkey hunting is getting me amped up! I think its this warmer weather got combined with the final weekend of deer season.....

mike1225

I had a Dr Optic red dot on my gun for 6-7 years. I turned it on when I got out & turned it off before I got in. Battery was still good when I took it off my gun. I put a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my gun & use it the same way. The batteries last forever it seems.

mike1225

I just googled it & Burris said 5000 hours & Dr Optic said 28000 hours on the battery life.

turkeykirk

Turn mine on when I leave the truck and turn it off when I get back. Use both a Fasrfire 3 and a Sig Romeo 5. No issues yet with a battery.

frankwright

I turn mine on when I leave the truck and off when I return. My vortex venom is 150 hours on high and 30,000 on lowest!
I put a new battery in before season starts.
I don't think you can beat a Red Dot with todays tight shooting shells and chokes!