Red Tail

rosewood

So how long did it take for you to train that hawk to fly at the camera like that?::ke:::ke:

Cool shot.
That was easy, just hang a dead squirrel on it.

davel

Once while deer hunting, I had a few deer milling about in front of me maybe 40-50yds or so. I was only moving my head ever so slightly looking left and right. Out of nowhere I had something hit me in the back of the head so hard I thought I’d been punched. It was a red tail hawk, he took my hat a good 15 yds before dropping it. It was unbelievable. I figured he thought I was a squirrel, but he nailed me. I don’t tell many people the story because I feel like it’s pretty unbelievable. But it happened and it hurt, I couldn’t imagine a small animal surviving the initial hit honestly.

I had one dive bomb me once while sitting on the ground deer hunting. Bow hunting and in all camo. Thought the same thing...he must have seen my head move and thought it was a squirrel or something. Very believable!

nmurph

My brother had one land in a tree and chase a squirrel all around him. It was the old timey ladder where you sat on the top rung and leaned back against the tree. He said those animals came within a foot of him as the RTH tried to get the squirrel. That stand is still in that oak tree and he mentions that story every time we walk by!

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I had one lite next to me in a stand once...kept looking at me with that one eye twistin that head....I kept lookin at those talons. Thought about sliding an arra outta the quiver and swattin him to make him go away...don't think it was 5' away

Last edited:

rosewood

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Years ago my youngest BIL was in charge of the bobcat program for UGA at Cumberland Island. He'd trap and radio collar the cats for study. The large Havahart traps were baited with a live chicken in a separate cage. One day he caught and released an adult, fierce red tail. He also had the opportunity to sit in a blind in the dunes and observe the snaring of peregrine falcons during the fall migrations. The bait in the tethered mono loops was a live pigeon which didn't fare as well as the chicken did. He said it was amazing to see the stoop of the falcon as it clobbered the pigeon. The falcons were weighed and blood samples drawn and the birds were released. Gil

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Cool TC shot Nic.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Out at the rail yard, we have a bunch of pigeons, therefore we also have a bunch of raptor birds hanging around...

I've seen red tails, coopers, kites, tilley's, and some I can't ID. We even have a pair of eagles that sometimes visit.

Sometimes, out of thin air you'll see a shower of pigeon feathers raining down from the sky...

Jester896

Senior Clown
He also had the opportunity to sit in a blind in the dunes and observe the snaring of peregrine falcons during the fall migrations. Gil

I still remember seeing the Falconer at Chehaw some years ago and how fast that thing went through his legs...good stuff

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've had red tails and Coopers attack dove mojos. The coolest raptor incident was this past dove season in the same field where I've seen the red tail attacks. I saw a Peregrine work the field and give chase to a dove which out flew the falcon in level flight. The Peregrine's attack was done without a stoop which gave the dove a chance. The falcons pass through here in October on their way south. Bald eagles on the same property give wild ducks fits and run them out of the duck fields. Gil

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I was planting some trees along the fence line one afternoon. I had seen 2 dove on my neighbors driveway. I heard something that sounded like a loud scratching noise and turned to look. Mama Red Tail had swooped in to catch one and the 2 youngins swooped right beside her. I was even spitting out dove feathers across the street there were so many. They all 3 flew up to a Pine limb close and ate it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We have peregrines nesting here in the Smokies and Balsams again now. They're fascinating birds, as are redtails and all the raptors. Hardly ever see a kestrel here any more. They used to be plentiful. I miss them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We have peregrines nesting here in the Smokies and Balsams again now. They're fascinating birds, as are redtails and all the raptors. Hardly ever see a kestrel here any more. They used to be plentiful. I miss them.

One of my friends that we`re hunting with had a Kestrel for a year or two. She caught it close to St Mark`s National Wildlife Refuge. Small hawk, but that was one sho nuff deadly hunter on small stuff.

My mistake, it wasn`t a Kestral, it was a Merlin.

Last edited: