Red Tide theory

bassboy1

That's a major contributing factor, but just one out of many. The draining of portions of the Everglades, and subsequently shifting water - that historically filtered through the Everglades - into the St. Lucie and Caloosahatchee rivers, is another major factor.

pottydoc

A major factor? According to what reputable organization? A builder with a drone is hardly an expert. And don’t post up anything with bull sugars name on it, they’ll claim anything to further their agenda. Red tide has been around forever, some years bad, some extremely bad, some almost no outbreaks (2019 the most recent). There is nothing beyond anecdotal evidence that the discharges from the Lake affect it at all.
edit to add: I completely agree that the spraying needs to stop, or at least be greatly curtailed. Most of it is done where it isn’t needed. Someone(s) are making a pile of $$$ off of the taxpayers, and screwing up the water quality while they’re at it. But, not one shrewd of evidence to show that it, or any of the freshwater discharges, effect red tide at all.

Last edited:

doomtrpr_z71

The only thing that MIGHT even have an effect is the increased nutrient load from the decaying plant material. The new reservoir is needed mainly to improve the flow to the Everglades and Florida bay. The spraying is a catch 22, if it isn't sprayed the plants will explode due to the nutrient load in lake o, a reduction would improve water quality in lake o but it would also increase bottom growing weeds. As long as it's part of the icw there's going to be spraying, it costs way too much to do mechanical removal.

pottydoc

MIGHT in capital letters is the correct word. We all need to be battling for cleaner water, but we need to make sure we have our facts straight instead of posting or talking about stuff that just flat isn’t true. I’ll guarentee you there’s guys on this forum that still believe that water from Big Sugar flows into the Lake. They’re always surprised to learn that all the sugar farms are south of the Lake, and the water doesn’t flow north. People also believe that the run offs from Lake O are whats causing the problems in Mosquito Lagoon and the Indian River, even though not one drop goes that far north. And, just like the post here, they try to blame red tide on the discharges. I’m not lessening any of it, just saying we need to be sure our ducks are in a row before posting things that aren’t supported by documented evidence, or aren’t true at all.

twtabb

Just thought I would get a discussion going about this issue. Didn’t say if I supported the article or theory. Didn’t mean to get anyone’s undergarments in a wad.
I am not that far south but we are seeing increase in red tide up my way or at least it seems like it. Could be like everything else. We know about it because of internet.

Gator89

The Kissimmee River used to meander along with lots of oxbows, marsh, etc. to filter the water. To make sure Orlando did not flood, the Kissimmee was channelized and the runoff sent directly to Lake O. Throw in channelizing the Caloosahatchee and you have removed all natural filtering between the source and the Gulf of Mexico.

pottydoc

The Kissimmee River used to meander along with lots of oxbows, marsh, etc. to filter the water. To make sure Orlando did not flood, the Kissimmee was channelized and the runoff sent directly to Lake O. Throw in channelizing the Caloosahatchee and you have removed all natural filtering between the source and the Gulf of Mexico.
Yeah, all of us know that. But it has nothing to do with red tide. Red tide has been around forever. It has bad years, not so bad years, and years with almost none reported. I can remember several years when I was much younger when Red tide screwed up our annual snook fishing trip/vacation to Bonita Beach. I’m not sure how old I was, maybe 8-9, but I’m 61 now. There were no issues with Lake O discharges then. Nor were there for many, many, years after that.Red tide starts offshore, way further out than the discharges reach, and moves inshore. We can discuss it to death, but the fact remains there is zero evidence to back up fresh water discharges affecting red tide in any way. It dang sure doesn’t cause red tide. If you guys want to Hear from someone who really knows about red tide, go over to the confron section on Florida Sportsman, and search for posts by Doc Stressor. He really knows his stuff about red tide, and issues with the discharges.

zedex

Gator Bait
Red tide has been around forever before us and will be after us. Its not just Florida but everywhere that experiences it. I'm 4000 miles away and we dont have spraying going on here but still have red tide every year. And I live in an area where putting a cigarette butt in the water is a major offence.

Warmer water, pollution, underwater volcanic activity, Tectonic plate shifts, unfiltered runoff..... there are so many factors to consider but why bother when a finger can be pointed in a single direction?

That said, I must admit, and be clear, that I am deeply opposed to spraying chemicals into the water, any water. And, I promise you that if you were caught spraying those identical chemicals into waterways, you would be prosecuted and persecuted for life.

But, thats the government.... do as we say, not as we do. If only one thing we can take from history, it is that anytime government gets their paws on something, they will screw it up big time.

Why does man feel he can make a better planet than God did? Ill give you something else to chew on....

I know a guy that has repeatedly bought vehicles and dismantled them with the idea he can build a better product than the designers, engineers, and factories. Every vehicle has ended up in the junkyard, still dismantled and never ran again after he laid hand to them. Thats the way I see government vs nature. Government destroys everything nature has, too. They seem to think that God didnt do a good enough job and they know more than the ultimate designer. End result is junk

doomtrpr_z71

Red tide has been around forever before us and will be after us. Its not just Florida but everywhere that experiences it. I'm 4000 miles away and we dont have spraying going on here but still have red tide every year. And I live in an area where putting a cigarette butt in the water is a major offence.

Warmer water, pollution, underwater volcanic activity, Tectonic plate shifts, unfiltered runoff..... there are so many factors to consider but why bother when a finger can be pointed in a single direction?

That said, I must admit, and be clear, that I am deeply opposed to spraying chemicals into the water, any water. And, I promise you that if you were caught spraying those identical chemicals into waterways, you would be prosecuted and persecuted for life.

But, thats the government.... do as we say, not as we do. If only one thing we can take from history, it is that anytime government gets their paws on something, they will screw it up big time.

Why does man feel he can make a better planet than God did? Ill give you something else to chew on....

I know a guy that has repeatedly bought vehicles and dismantled them with the idea he can build a better product than the designers, engineers, and factories. Every vehicle has ended up in the junkyard, still dismantled and never ran again after he laid hand to them. Thats the way I see government vs nature. Government destroys everything nature has, too. They seem to think that God didnt do a good enough job and they know more than the ultimate designer. End result is junk

It's simple either spray the hydrilla or you don't have eelgrass. I'll take the spraying, there's nothing natural about hydrilla in Florida.