Red Top Mtn and Vogel State Park

martinc

The wife and I are headed up this morning to check out the park and find some camp sites since its gone "site specific". Anybody ever camp there, any favorite sites you'd care to share?

We might even ride over to Vogel as well. We're trying to check out several parks over the next few weeks since we got the bigger truck and can get further from home..

Martin

Patriot44

Banned
I camp at Red Top a lot, but not sure what is all open this time of the year. Some of the places close down for winter. Beautiful with some decent hiking. It gets rather chilly with the wind coming off the lake.

martinc

Well the wife and I left out yesterday morning and took a 450 mile round trip ride. We stopped at Cabela's in Acworth on the way up.
We found out we liked Red Top Mtn but many of the sites are going to be difficult to get in and out of but we took the map and circled our favorites and the most useable ones, then we headed across the state and went to Vogel.

Vogel was beautiful and had alot more useable sites. We did the same there with a map of the campground, circled our favorites and made notes on the sites we could use.
The wife liked Vogel and its cabins/cottages so much that she wanted to spend the night but its a two night minimum.
All in all we had a good adventure and can't wait to be able to start going to more places.

Martin

3ringer

Well the wife and I left out yesterday morning and took a 450 mile round trip ride. We stopped at Cabela's in Acworth on the way up.
We found out we liked Red Top Mtn but many of the sites are going to be difficult to get in and out of but we took the map and circled our favorites and the most useable ones, then we headed across the state and went to Vogel.

Vogel was beautiful and had alot more useable sites. We did the same there with a map of the campground, circled our favorites and made notes on the sites we could use.
The wife liked Vogel and its cabins/cottages so much that she wanted to spend the night but its a two night minimum.
All in all we had a good adventure and can't wait to be able to start going to more places.

Martin
We like site 53 at Vogel. It is Huuuuge. We spent a week there in October. We had a big 350 lb black bear get in our cooler. We had a great time there.

martinc

We like site 53 at Vogel. It is Huuuuge. We spent a week there in October. We had a big 350 lb black bear get in our cooler. We had a great time there.

Yes, we have it and #56 listed as a couple of our favorites. We'll definitely be staying at Vogel a couple of times this coming year.
Their redoing several parts of the park, moving bath houses and may even be moving a couple of sites so it might change the layout some before the season gets going this next year.

Martin

ssramage

We used to camp at Red Top a lot when I was a kid. A lot of great memories there in our tents and camper before my mom passed away.

I don't know the site, but we had one that we went to a lot that was right on a cove of the lake. Had a big boulder behind the site and the lake was downhill. This has been 20 years ago so I'm not sure if it's even still there... As kids, we'd explore all over and would jump off "cliffs" (looking back, they weren't that big) into the lake. We had a lot of great memories there. I'm looking forward to taking my kids one day. They just need to get a little older and a little more experienced with camping before we make the 6 hour drive there.

Greene728

Yes, we have it and #56 listed as a couple of our favorites. We'll definitely be staying at Vogel a couple of times this coming year.
Their redoing several parts of the park, moving bath houses and may even be moving a couple of sites so it might change the layout some before the season gets going this next year.

Martin

Better start making reservations now as it’s always booked solid!

dslc6487

vogel is my favorite campsites are big and you are not cramped right up next to your neighbor went up there a couple of weeks ago to christmas tree lighting ceremony good program also next morning was snowed in did not get to leave until late morning they are also doing a lot of work at vogel putting in new bath houses and some more camping spots

Bam Bam

Love Vogel State Park, Love The North Ga. Mountains Period!!! Would Love to Own a Log Cabin and Land Up There In Them Mountains!!!!