Rednecks for Jesus offers Free Fishing Trips (Lanier/Oconee)

LittleDrummerBoy

Rednecks for Jesus, a Christian ministry, is sponsoring free fishing trips on my boat this year on Lake Lanier (beginning April 1) and Lake Oconee (beginning March 23). Fishing falls under God's blessing to "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.” (Genesis 1:28) As a result, we've had a lot of fishing success when we remember to pray and seek God's favor.

My boat, the Little Drummer Boy, is on the small side (16 feet), so in addition to the boat captain, we can only accommodate 2 adult guests (or 1 adult and two smaller children) on each trip. Our staff is skilled, and I was only skunked twice in 2019, but never with guests. Guest anglers need to be physically capable of getting into and out of a small aluminum boats and fishing from a small aluminum boat for several hours.

Our two main fishing techniques are still fishing with bait in a cove, often while watching jug lines set for catfish, and precision trolling where we place lures at specific depths and reel in the fish when they hit. On any given day these techniques provide a mix of stripers, spotted bass, and catfish that can be hard to predict. April and September were our best fishing months in 2019. We can adjust techniques to guest preferences, but we recommend using methods most likely to produce success on a given day.

We have all the needed fishing equipment. Guests need only provide their own valid GA fishing license and items needed for their comfort (sunscreen, snacks, drinks, etc.) We do require guests to wear life jackets at all times in the boat, and we have several for you to choose from. We need advance notice if an unusual size of life jacket is required (child, etc.) Children need to be accompanied by a parent or by a responsible adult with the approval of a parent or guardian. Drinking and illegal drug use is not permitted on our boats. Smoking is permitted in the front half of the boat only. Those appearing to be under the influence or incapable of safely fishing with us will be denied entry onto our boat or immediately returned to the dock. Our techniques tend to be amenable to anglers with little or no fishing experience. We have accommodated a number of anglers with mild disabilities as long as they can get into and out of the boat safely and manage common fishing tasks.

Until mid-May, we have a strong preference to fish in the afternoons on Lanier, leaving the Balus Creek boat ramp at an agreed upon time (3-5 PM) and fishing until dark. After mid-May, boat traffic makes afternoon fishing much harder, and we shift to meeting at sunrise and fishing until noon or so. Scheduling and meeting locations for Oconee vary more trip by trip based on needs and conditions. I plan to target mostly catfish with bait on Oconee until my skills grow in trolling there. All legal fish will be kept and offered to our guests to take home. Fish kept but not taken by guests will be given to families in community.

These fishing trips are a ministry of Rednecks for Jesus, but open to all regardless of faith. We will pray briefly before we depart and you may be (gently) invited to church. You will not be asked for money, nor will any compensation be accepted for the fishing trip or services provided. Contact me via PM for more info or to exchange more detailed contact info. (I prefer email for most arrangements after the initial expression of interest via private message.)

Weekend dates are at a premium, so contact me to make your reservation early. I expect that once cabin fever sets in from the COVID-19 measures, fishing access will be in great demand.

rfj-card-rear-jpg.1007008

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
I've said it before,,,,great thing you guys are doing,,,,just a thought,,,,ever thought about doing the Hooch?

LittleDrummerBoy

I've said it before,,,,great thing you guys are doing,,,,just a thought,,,,ever thought about doing the Hooch?

We gave much thought about which additional Georgia waters to add in 2020, having only had guests on Lanier in 2019 (and some Louisiana waters). If we had a boat captain eager to fish the Hooch, it might have been added. But since we offer this thing for free to all our guests, we need to keep our costs down, and we need to limit it to waters we have more skill on.

The Hooch really breaks down to three possibilities, which are very different: above Lanier, between Lanier and ATL, and between ATL and West Point. Compared with Oconee, none of those possibilities offered a good combination of driving distances, anticipated demand, and existing experience.

Guests come fishing, because they want to catch fish. We need to honor that and not need a miracle every time we fish a body of water due to the limited skill of the host captain. Our supporters also have limited resources. We need to honor that and not over use limited resources honing our skills on waters with more limited customer demand.

Finally, the call of the ministry is to reach rednecks. Anyone from Atlanta or anywhere else is welcome to join us on Lanier or Oconee. But waters closer to Atlanta would probably shift our draw away from rural Georgians and more toward city slickers. And no one wants to drag a boat all the way around Atlanta to get to points on the Hooch below Atlanta.

LittleDrummerBoy

OK peeps, who wants to run jug lines on Oconee on Sun March 29? Might need the rain gear. Can meet at a boat ramp on the N end of Oconee at a convenient time or drive down together from a spot near a 985 Exit if you live closer to Lanier and want to save on gas. First PM or email has dibbs. Could be quite the meat haul.

Beginning regular trips on Lanier next week for those who prefer Lanier. Moving trolling trips to the morning to avoid heavy boat traffic. Jug line trips available in the evening. Lots of available dates right now, since I have just begun taking rservations.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Been catching fish. Have an opening on Sat April 4. Probably run jugs and fish with bait in a creek back. Boat reconfigured to meet social distancing requirements in compliance with Governor's order.

LittleDrummerBoy

Had quite the meat haul this week (35 lbs total) including this 14 pounder. Who wants to go Sat (April 18) or Thu (April 16)? Send me a PM. Boat is set up to maintain social distancing.

DSCN1398 (2).JPG

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Catching lots of fish. Not many open dates left this month.

Catfish.JPGDSCN1428 (2).JPG

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Lots of happy guests and only a few open dates left this month.

Dates:
Tue Apr 14 Booked
Thu Apr 16 Booked
Sat Apr 18 Booked
Wed Apr 22 Booked
Fri Apr 24 Booked
Sat Apr 25 Booked
Tue Apr 28 Booked
Thu Apr 30 Open
Sat 2 May Open
Boat is set up to maintain social distancing.

Connor w Meat Haul2.JPGDSCN1453 (2).JPGDSCN1466 (2).JPG

LittleDrummerBoy

Dates
Thu May 7 Booked
Sat May 9 Booked
Tue May 12 Booked
Thu May 14 Open
Boat is set up for social distancing though May.

Catfish has slowed on Lanier, so our Lanier efforts are shifting to tactical trolling, while Oconee trips will still focus on catfish. In tactical trolling we use diving planers to put 6-8 down at the depth we're marking the most fish (10-30 feet typically). All Lanier trips will be in the morning out of Balus Creek boat ramp - meet at 6:30 AM, fish until dark. PM me for reservations.

DSCN1533 (2).JPGDSCN1489 (2).JPGDSCN1495 (2).JPGDSCN1510 (2).JPG

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Dates
Fri May 15 Booked
Sat May 16 Booked
Thu May 21 Open Lanier AM
Sat May 23 Booked
Thu May 28 Open Lanier AM
Sun May 31 Booked
Boat is set up for social distancing though May.

Been reliably catching fish. All open trips for the next couple of weeks are tactical trolling Lanier, expecting a mix of spots, stripers, and catfish at a catch rate of 1-2 fish an hour. But each day varies. PM me for reservations.
DSCN1564 (2).JPGDSCN1574 (2).JPG

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

http://www.fcaoutdoors.org/

Three day tourney - May 26-28.

I'll be taking my wife to fish the tournament on Wed May 27, but if someone wants me enter the tournament and have me take them on Thu May, 28 I am happy to oblige.

For a great cause, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and only a $15 entry fee.

LittleDrummerBoy

Booked until week of 14 June. PM me for reservations.

Mario with Flatheads (2).jpgDSCN1652 (2).JPGDSCN1656 (2).JPGDSCN1678 (2).JPG

LittleDrummerBoy

Dates
Been booked solid for a while, but there are now a few openings. PM me for reservations.
Thu June 18 Open 6-11 AM Lanier
Sat June 20 Booked
Mon June 22 Open 6-11 AM Lanier
Thu June 25 Open 6-11 AM Lanier
Sat June 27 Booked

DSCN1685 (2).JPG
DSCN1699 (2).JPG

LittleDrummerBoy

Crappie (2).jpgDSCN1738 (2).JPGDSCN1769 (2).JPGBlue Catfish Meat Haul.JPGDSCN1798 (2).JPGNick and Striper 2.jpgStriper Still (2).png

Attachments

• DSCN1701 (2).JPG
    DSCN1701 (2).JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 4

LittleDrummerBoy

Been busy:
DSCN1829 (2).JPGDSCN1838 (3).JPGResized.JPGDSCN1852 (2).JPGDSCN1913 (2).JPG

LittleDrummerBoy

DSCN1923 (2).JPGDSCN1969 (2).JPGBaptism.jpgDSCN1937 (2).JPG