Reload question

FlipKing

How hot are you guys running 6.5 reloads and how much does brass affect speed?

I'm running Unknown Munitions 6.5 eldx which with Hornady brass are rated at 2800 and with Peterson Brass are rated at 2875.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the Patterson may have thicker wall therefore less volume. Is either of those loads at 100% case capacity? How much difference in case weight and/or volume are there? There could be several explanations for the speed difference.

I assume when you say they are rated at, you are referring to the fps they got with their test loads in their firing devices.

FlipKing

Yes that is correct. That is the FPS provided by them for each load. The stock ELDX run 2700fps from Hornady. UM gets a little more out of it. I ordered the Peterson for the extra speed, I was just hoping to understand the why a little more. Included build card.
20211021_132525.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
you can put 40gr of H4350 in any one of those cases listed and get a different fps out of your rifle. I would most likely be the difference in case volume...a different sized combustion chamber with each if you will. Do you get 2875 out of your rifle with that load?

FlipKing

Last time I had it checked, it was all over 2875/2900 fps. I forget the actual number though.

rosewood

That is moving. Sounds a bit high with h4350 to me.

FlipKing

I had it saved but lost my phone and all my load data unfortunately. I'll have to try to shoot it again.

FlipKing

Theirs was 26". I just checked. Mine is 24". Maybe I was at 2775/2800. It was fairly fast but it was 6 months ago that I checked it.

Big7

The Oracle
Fill each brand of case using the same brand/batch of fired primer with water.(If you really want to get technical, use distilled water)

Zero scale with a small bowl on it. Pour water from each case into the bowl. Weigh. Dry bowl. Repeat.

That will give you the actual capacity of each brand case, provided they are all trimmed to the same length, and you can work it out to percentage from there.

Jester896

Senior Clown
turn a spent primer upside down. zero the scale with the pan and case on it. Drop water in the case until full and you have your weight.

rosewood

This is how I do it. Weigh the case on your powder scale, fill it with water then weigh again. Do the math. Pouring out of a dirty case may leave some water in it that doesn't get weighed, also then you don't have to worry about spilling any.

Rosewood

rosewood

turn a spent primer upside down. zero the scale with the pan and case on it. Drop water in the case until full and you have your weight.

Point I hadn't considered, the primer cup will hold a dab of water, assuming the air bubble can get out. An upside down primer would remove that pocket.