Reloading question- primers

bullgator

In an AR with a floating firing pin, get the CCI #41. They have harder cups to help prevent any slam fires. All other, get the match primers.

BriarPatch99

And both of them are unavailable...

So you may have use something that is not recommended....

I have used the regular Winchester SR primers with out any issues.....

I have never used any CCI #41 .... no issues

My AR could be different than yours .... So only you can see what works in it.

Right now I am using S&B SR .... they are working just fine ....the only problem.... I should've bought about 20,000 instead of 5000....$17.95/1000.... I could kick my own rear ...?

Last edited:

lampern

So match vs military primers doesn’t really matter?

I never realized there was a difference until recently

Last edited:

rosewood

Up until recently, CCI was the only one to even list a primer specifically for floating firing pin rifles (military spec if you would). I think I have recently seen Winchester is making some now. However, I have used CCI 400 and winchester SR for years without issues. My recent studies has made me shy away from using CCI 400s anymore as even CCI recommends not using those with floating firing pins. I have never tried Federal SR in an AR15 or even bought any. However, from my reading, the winchester and federal primers are all fine in the AR, only the CCI 400 isn't recommended. The CCI magnum primers and BR primers are fine in the AR also. It seems the CCI 400 has the thinnest cup of the 3.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
Federal does make primers for floating pins. They have AR stamped on the bottom of the cup. When you are checking primers it really throws me for a loop. I use Wolf SRM primers in 6.8SPC loads I do.

I think SR primers are fine in loads with extruded powder for .223 bolt guns. I like the little extra cup thickness for floating pin loads that the #41 or other AR specific ones give. The small rifle magnums are probably better suited for the heavy ball powder loads too...JMO

bullgator

Federal was notorious for softer primer cups. I love Federal match primers in my rifles.......but, my M1A will double up sometimes with them. For about 10 years now Federal has produced an AR Match primer to fix that issue. It’s a good primer. Chances are that with any other brand than regular Federal, you’ll be just good either way. Those Winchester match would most likely be fine.

bullgator

So ARs have floating firing pins unlike bolt guns?
Take the bolt out of your AR and shake it. You can hear and feel the firing pin move. Also you can move it with your finger very easily because it’s not being held into position. Think of bolt guns having it held in place by spring tension.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Take the bolt out of your AR and shake it. You can hear and feel the firing pin move. Also you can move it with your finger very easily because it’s not being held into position. Think of bolt guns having it held in place by spring tension.

and if he chambers a round in his AR in a normal fashion...then removes it without firing it he will most likely see a dent in the primer.

lampern

So what kind of primers are used in PMC bronze ammunition 223/556 and Privi Partisan 223/556?

I've seen them shoot just fine in an AR15 rifle

BriarPatch99

and if he chambers a round in his AR in a normal fashion...then removes it without firing it he will most likely see a dent in the primer.

And this is with any brand primer ...including factory ammo primers ....

Some ARs will dent more than other .... if yours puts a pretty go dent ...then it would be more subject to slam fire than one that does not ...

I have never had a AR slam fire *...I know it is possible .....always make sure where your muzzle is pointed ...

*Only slam fire I ever had was a Remington 1100 and a Remington shell ....scary ....

rosewood

And this is with any brand primer ...including factory ammo primers ....

Some ARs will dent more than other .... if yours puts a pretty go dent ...then it would be more subject to slam fire than one that does not ...

I have never had a AR slam fire *...I know it is possible .....always make sure where your muzzle is pointed ...

*Only slam fire I ever had was a Remington 1100 and a Remington shell ....scary ....
I have heard of it happening with dirty firing pin "tunnels" before. Clean guns seem to never have the issue.

rosewood

Who knows ....

But it does show why CCI 400, Fed 200 and Rem 61/2 are more likely to slam fire ...
Assuming the metals are the same hardness.