Rem 700 trigger

Dbender

I have and older rem 700 that I'm pretty sure the trigger has been tinkered with. I want to make sure it won't accidentally fire. Any tips or videos to either upgrade or replace to factory setting?

chuckdog

When performed by someone competent there’s nothing wrong with the original 700 trigger. It’s those that are tinkered with by someone who doesn’t have a clue about the safe adjustment and limitations that a hunting trigger has that’s given them the bad reputation.

Take it to a reputable smith.

Hunting rifles have no need to be below 2.5lbs. If you want benchrest or long range varminting, then Jewell is the one I choose.

Clemson

Good advice. I usually replace the triggers with Timneys. You can clean the old Walker trigger and reset the adjustments, but the Timney gives just as good or better pull and comes with the peace of mind as well.

killerv

When performed by someone competent there’s nothing wrong with the original 700 trigger. It’s those that are tinkered with by someone who doesn’t have a clue about the safe adjustment and limitations that a hunting trigger has that’s given them the bad reputation.

Take it to a reputable smith.

Hunting rifles have no need to be below 2.5lbs. If you want benchrest or long range varminting, then Jewell is the one I choose.

For liability reasons I dont know why a smith would even touch one. Can usually get the old blued triggers safely down just below three, stainless around 3lbs. You are living dangerously if you try for any more than that. I've adjusted my share, and have had no issues and feel confident with them, but I would never pass them off to another person, including my kids. Been replacing them here and there. I think I have two left with the old school trigger.

Last edited:

Buckbuster

Good advice. I usually replace the triggers with Timneys. You can clean the old Walker trigger and reset the adjustments, but the Timney gives just as good or better pull and comes with the peace of mind as well.
This is what I did, I have 2 sons and grandsons that will be using my 700 and peace of mind means more than anything.

rmp

I like a properly tuned Walker and have several but for a single stage hunting trigger, Timney’s are an inexpensive peace of mind.

Edit: looks like I just repeated what everyone else already said. Sorry

I’ll add that after trying most every brand of single stage, often multiples, I prefer a 2-stage trigger anymore for my needs. Bix & Andy or Geissele for those. Trigger Tech Diamond if single stage is a must. One guys opinion anyway.

Last edited:

earlthegoat2

For liability reasons I dont know why a smith would even touch one. Can usually get the old blued triggers safely down just below three, stainless around 3lbs. You are living dangerously if you try for any more than that. I've adjusted my share, and have had no issues and feel confident with them, but I would never pass them off to another person, including my kids. Been replacing them here and there. I think I have two left with the old school trigger.

I tend to agree. A class action lawsuit and a general recall of 700 series rifles spanning decades would make me tell the customer to send it back for recall work first or just install an aftermarket trigger.

Of course, I don’t know who you would send it back to now……so yeah. Get a Timney.

chuckdog

I doubt there’s many people any more concerned with liability and firearm/ammunition safety than me. I’m no more afraid of the Walker trigger than any other. When properly adjusted with oem parts I’ve had zero issues with them.

There downfall was helped along by idiots with screwdrivers and lawyers.

Most issues I’ve seen have been the rifle firing at time the safety is disengaged. Again properly adjusted this ain’t any more likely to happen than it is with several other types of fully adjustable triggers. I can take an old Model 70 or 110 and make it unsafe too. It’s a matter of understanding how the trigger system works and its limitations.

Maybe it’s because I’ve owned several and undone a lot more of the stupid settings on these rifles over the years that I have no fear of them.

If you can’t get anyone qualified to work on the factory triggers, then I guess you have no choice but to replace it. Two pins and it drops right out.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have properly adjusted Walkers in a couple of my rifles. One of the first things that needs to be done if you are wanting pulls at 2# or below is to change the spring. You may never get one to be consistent without doing so. I don't work on my Walkers. I have Rifle Basix, Timney, I have just added 3 new Straight Shoe Trigger Techs, one is a Diamond. BTW...Diamonds are for clone rifles...they don't have a bolt release lever. You will need a Special or Primary for a bolt release. And last but not least... one of mine wears a Jewell. The Trigger Techs are replacing Rifle Basix triggers. Even though they have a wide shoe like the Walker that I like so much...even the Timney has a better feel to me than Rifle Basix. The Trigger Tech is as close to or the same.. feel wise.. as the Jewell is to me.

Drykilned

There are numerous videos on you tube on adjusting the factory trigger. I, myself, always replace remington triggers and mauser triggers with timney triggers. There are other triggers out there and replacement is simple.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I can't tell you how much stuff I have to fix because it looked easy when they saw it on YouTube.

MidSouth has Trigger Tech with a free shipping special right now...that throws them in about the same price group as a Timney w/shipping

Dbender

Thanks for all the replies. Does there have to be any modifications to the stock to install a replacement trigger on a 700?

killerv

Thanks for all the replies. Does there have to be any modifications to the stock to install a replacement trigger on a 700?

No stock mods with timney in my experience....but I have had to open up a couple trigger guard openings because the trigger itself was rubbing on one side. Quick work with a dremel.

I've heard good things about the trigger techs, may need to get one to try out.

specialk

i replaced my 700's trig 25 years ago. not sure the brand but i got it from brownells along with a tittanium firing pin.....i also installed a kwik klip conversion kit......best money i ever spent on any gun....

Drykilned

I have the same experiences as killerv and the trigger guard problem, but only on mausers, not on rem 700/600/660. Never had problems with stock clearances on factory stocks. Had same experiences with rifle basix triggers and mausers but that
was for trigger with safety conversions.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the safety on one of the Rifle Basix I have rubbed on installation....none of the others I have used have rubbed.