Remington 742 Barrel Nut Wrench

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Does anybody know where I can get one? I've checked Brownells, Midway, etc. and they all say discontinued, out of stock.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That's the one and apparently that's the one and only that's available in the US.

Clemson

I have one and use it, but you could use an open end wrench and get by just fine.

Bill Jacobs

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have one and use it, but you could use an open end wrench and get by just fine.

Bill Jacobs

Yeah, I saw that in a video on the internut and the guy had boogered up the barrel nut pretty good using a crescent wrench. I would like to get the barrel nut wrench to avoid damage to the slide rails and the nut. I don't have much money in the gun but still want to avoid beating it up taking it down to clean it.

Clemson

I didn't say "Crescent" wrench. A snug fitting, open end wrench will not mess up the nut.

7Mag Hunter

You might consider buying a cheap wrench close in size and grinding to fit on a bench grinder

this is what i did....i did not start with cheap wrench...figured a Snap on had better metal and would not flex like a cheap one might....took awhile to get it just like i wanted it to fit...

transfixer

I swapped a different receiver onto my 742 years ago, keeping my original barrel, I used an open end wrench, ground down the sides of it a little if I remember right. Didn't even know they made a wrench for that purpose.

Ziggydog

The Barrel nut on my 742 is 25/32in. I use a 20mm end wrench with some duct tape in the jaws to avoid marring. I've also seen a guy modify a 20mm socket to fit. He ground off one side to clear the barrel.

tgc

That’s one huge problem with the 742, it’s not friendly to owner maintenance. Btw, I used a cresent wrench on mine. I had nothing to lose and it worked fine.