Remington 742

jimmy.444

I’ve got my uncles old 742 in 30-06 that I’ve killed a few deer with. It too leaves light primer strikes on unfired ammo. When I first noticed the primer strikes I had it totally disassembled and cleaned. This help some but did not fix the problem entirely. It’s a safe queen now until I can get it fixed.

little rascal

I and my brother had a carbine each, dad had woodsmaster. Only problem was the clip spring would get weak and it might jam trying to feed after firing a round. Changed out clips and never been a problem. Killed a lot of deer with my carbine. We shot Remington core locks in 180 grain round nose. It got stolen years later. My dad bought my brothers and gave it to me for Christmas one year. I shot plenty more deer with it, but I did change to 150 grain pointed soft points. Still have it. They were heavy and pointed great, could actually hold it steady compared to some lighter rifles I have owned years later.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Jamomatic, pawn shop wouldn't even take mine. Soon as I walked in the door he said nope. All the way from across the shop.

TL60

742 was my 1st "bought it myself" hunting rifle at 13. 1st shot jammed, almost never got it to un jamb, hammer and block of wood. Sent it back, 3 mos later it comes back....same thing. Sent it back.... 1 month later , again.... took it back to shop i bought it from and they said I'd have to send to Remington. Showed them where i had done this twice. Still no go... pop left me in a lounge chair with a sign on the rifle "Piece of junk they wont take back" sitting in front of their door.
Cop thought it was funny and told them you may want to give him his money so he will leave.
They did and never bought another Remington anything.

leroy

742 was my 1st "bought it myself" hunting rifle at 13. 1st shot jammed, almost never got it to un jamb, hammer and block of wood. Sent it back, 3 mos later it comes back....same thing. Sent it back.... 1 month later , again.... took it back to shop i bought it from and they said I'd have to send to Remington. Showed them where i had done this twice. Still no go... pop left me in a lounge chair with a sign on the rifle "Piece of junk they wont take back" sitting in front of their door.
Cop thought it was funny and told them you may want to give him his money so he will leave.
They did and never bought another Remington anything.

My dad bought a 742 in 243 for me and it did same thing, bought it at Franklin's same scenario he kept getting louder and louder and he got his money back. Did wind up buying a 742 BDL myself in 30 06 never had any problems out of it, kept it for 10-12 yrs

tcward

Remington has built some junk over the years (as has all of them) but the 742 has to be the king of junk...

Stroker

My dad bought a 742 in 243 for me and it did same thing, bought it at Franklin's same scenario he kept getting louder and louder and he got his money back. Did wind up buying a 742 BDL myself in 30 06 never had any problems out of it, kept it for 10-12 yrs
Wished I could find one in .243.

TriggerHappyJake

Im sorry to say it but the 742 is not the best of firearms. When I was in the gunsmiting program my instructers refered to it as the "jam master". I believe them because of all the gunsmithing repair work Ive done so far almost half of it was on 742s. They're like boats, fix one thing and something else quits working right.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I too once owned a 7400 Carbine in 30 '06. It was terrible. I had one mag that worked, one that didn't. The thing wouldn't shoot either. About 2"-3" at 100 is all I ever got it to do.

I have a 7600 Carbine in 30-'06, and it will shoot an inch at 100. It's never even acted like it was gonna miss a beat, and killed more than Covid... I'll NEVER sell it, and love hunting with it.

A 7400 mag will hold the action open in the 7600, when you shuck the last round...:geek::bounce:

snuffy

Have an old Woodmaster 30/06 I bought used back in the seventies for $125.00
Killed truck loads of deer with that thing.

Started out using Winchester 220 grain bullets. Ended up settling on Remington 180's

Only time I remember having a problem on deer was one time I was trying to be quiet and eased the bolt forward. Cost me a shot at a deer that morning.

You had to pull that thing back and let it go.

transfixer

I've got one I''ve had since I was 16, killed a pile of deer with it up into my 20's, till I bought a bolt action and pretty much retired the 742, it wasn't the most accurate, but would keep a 4 inch or so group at 100yds at least, they were okay as long as you kept them and the magazines clean and lubed, the plastic dust cover would break and cause jams sometimes, but you could do away with it without any issues, I actually wore out the receiver I shot it so much, the grooves the bolt ran in were worn and flattened down, I picked up another receiver and bolt from a parts gun and replaced mine, still using the original barrel, it still shoots, although I don't hunt with it anymore, most of the ones that gave trouble back then just weren't kept clean and maintained.

transfixer

Have an old Woodmaster 30/06 I bought used back in the seventies for $125.00
Killed truck loads of deer with that thing.

Started out using Winchester 220 grain bullets. Ended up settling on Remington 180's

Only time I remember having a problem on deer was one time I was trying to be quiet and eased the bolt forward. Cost me a shot at a deer that morning.

You had to pull that thing back and let it go.

I used to use the same, 220 round nose soft points, and 180gr round nose core lokts, done the same thing with the bolt too ! if you didn't let it slam forward it wouldn't go all the way into battery, and would just go " click "

transfixer

Remington made some 742's that didn't get the receiver metal heat treated correctly and they would gall and booger up the slide rails inside. Result was jamming and solution was a new receiver and rails, AKA buy a new gun because remington would not admit it. I have personally seen this in multiple guns that I have worked on. This was much more noticeable on the long calibers because the receiver really wasn't long enough to accommodate the extra length (another engineering screw up)
If you're looking at a used 742 take the time to look inside the receiver and check for this. Remington was having issues a lot farther back than people realize.

that is exactly what happened to my original receiver !

wvdawg

Staff member
Wife bought me one our first Christmas almost 50 years ago. 308 semi auto. I have killed a slew of deer with it through the years. Best rifle I ever owned. Still has the original cheap old 3-9 Tasco scope and shoots like a champ!

Blackston

Duncan Dobies book , has a list of all the guns used to kill Ga greatest whitetails I believe the jam O matic is on the top of the list ... just sayin