Repurposing Some Steel

Anvil Head

Note: The small dagger in the third picture, I did as a challenge to three of my young students. A gentleman from over on Outdoor Trader gifted me a box of wrenches during a different trade. I decided to let my students repurpose the broken ones.

These two were done by one of my younger students - 12 yr old, with very promising talents. His parents have requested anonymity. He plans to gift these to someone special - can't say anymore just yet. Just know he has a heart as big as his talent.

Both items were forged from large open-end wrenches. He worked with me through the experimenting process to find a decent thermal cycling and quenchant medium to get amazingly good results. His hammer work is exceptional for one his age and he is researching and learning the technical end of working metals hot. Only real tough spot I had to help with was hawk blade alignment, but we got it right.

Still working fit and finish on dagger handle - take the time to look at the ruler next to the work, not little projects! All are USA made wrenches from various mfgrs.

Enjoy (more to come as other students finish their projects).

IMG_20210426_205106999.jpgIMG_20210426_205153604.jpgIMG_20210426_205234907.jpg

wvdawg

Staff member
Exceptional work from these young guys! They have a great teacher!

Anvil Head

Some real treasures out there, just got to reach and incentives them. I've been truly blessed in getting connected with quite a few.

Anvil Head

Some of the completed "challenge" work. Note -the 2nd knife from the left was done by a student but has my maker's mark on it. He was so excited at completing the blade and was trying to do everything as I instructed. I just didn't see him pick up my stamp until it was too late. We will be grinding that spot out next session. (first knife on left is one I demoed technique on - I did make it).
wrenches 2.JPGwrenches 3.JPGwrenches 5.JPGwrenches a.JPG

Anvil Head

We - he tested it on some oak in the wood pile and it held up nicely. Kind of wish the wrench had had a little more "meat" around the jaws for a bigger bit, but it worked out pretty good. He's eyeballing an old pipe wrench jaw now with a lot more mass. Kid's got a wicked hammer strike. Just running short on time - he and family headed on an out of country mission trip soon.
Been studying up on simple charcoal fired forges so might let him take the jaw with him.