Return to North Georgia 11/2

WinMag.300

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I headed up with a good friend and forum member "striptease". We were on the trophy water by 645am. The first stop was the "hog hole" north of the HS bridge. Immediately we were into fish. I landed several small bows on a size 10 stonefly on the bottom. The water was high from rains and the wading was tough. The next swing through the run produced a "VERY" large fish that really played me...instead of me playing him. After a long fight he finally came unbuttoned and dissapointed me. I managed several fish in the 17-18 inch range on wired stoneflys, pheasant tails, and even y2k's. I just kept switching flys and sizes until the would give em a go.

We moved up to the field and fished that area for a few but the high water made fishing difficult. The spots I had fished the weekend before were horrible to wade or access. I was just glad we had success.

Look forward to another nice trip up there soon. Pics coming tonight.

Attachments

• 112trout.jpg
    112trout.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 112trout1.jpg
    112trout1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 112trout3.jpg
    112trout3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 306
  • 112trout4.jpg
    112trout4.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

luv2drum

Hey your first one is still larger than the only one I have caught on a fly rod. LOL I get with some one and learn how to fish.

2bbshot

The enterprise tribal waters can be incredible. Glad you had a good time. Next time you I would recomend not spending much time fishing the highschool hole. If you do a little walking and fish some areas that arent quite as esy to access you have a good chance of catching a real giant. I havent been up in three weeks but it was rediculous when I was there. Shoot me a pm and ill tell you a few good holes to try. Youll either catch a giant or get your heart broken. Ive landed a few and got many heart breaks up there. I caught a brook trout last time I was up that was 16.5 long and 11 around with a big kipe jaw. I also caught some stroker rainbows.

WinMag.300

highschool

Second trip and have never even bothered fishing the HS/ bridge holes. I like the big hole up past the Highschool but before the bridge and the hole at the far left of the field. Two other holes I "really" like I will not disclose.

The enterprise tribal waters can be incredible. Glad you had a good time. Next time you I would recomend not spending much time fishing the highschool hole. If you do a little walking and fish some areas that arent quite as esy to access you have a good chance of catching a real giant. I havent been up in three weeks but it was rediculous when I was there. Shoot me a pm and ill tell you a few good holes to try. Youll either catch a giant or get your heart broken. Ive landed a few and got many heart breaks up there. I caught a brook trout last time I was up that was 16.5 long and 11 around with a big kipe jaw. I also caught some stroker rainbows.

2bbshot

Second trip and have never even bothered fishing the HS/ bridge holes. I like the big hole up past the Highschool but before the bridge and the hole at the far left of the field. Two other holes I "really" like I will not disclose.

I hear ya. There are many small creeks and steams I fish that keep quiet about but there are really no secrets on the cherokee trophy water,since the whole section can be fished in a day. I like the area just below the campround that is down in the gorge. Its a little hairy getting down to the river but its well worth it. A guy that lives up in franklin helped the tribal fisheries manager stock that section from his raft before the rumble in the roddeneron tournament. Those 16-18 inchers are fun to catch but there are some real deal 24-28 in bows in the 8-10 lb range in there and unlike many other places(Dukes) they arent that hard to get to eat. Landing them is another story all together but I fish 3x floro up there and it makes it a little easier to put one in the net.

WinMag.300

that spot

I saw that section and it looked great I just got tied up fishing the bend in the river below there... It looked like some major boulders up there that created some really neat pools. I bet there are some bruisers in there.

2bbshot

I saw that section and it looked great I just got tied up fishing the bend in the river below there... It looked like some major boulders up there that created some really neat pools. I bet there are some bruisers in there.

There are indeed. Did you see any elk when you were up there? It will really get your attention when your not expecting it and look over and see a herd of elk eating on the side of the road. Also, did you get checked by the tribal wardens? Last year I got checked every day I fished up there sometimes as much as 3x in one day. This year I havent been checked once. I hope they will keep it heavily policed because it is an awesome resource and it would be ashame for poachers to keep fish from that section.

WinMag.300

Elk

yeah I saw two bulls, and came on an elk scrape and rubs in the woods...pretty neat to see a rub that is taller than me...Yeah I got checked twice by the tribal wardens. I agree that they should definitely keep it policed.

scteenhunter13

man i have alot of respect for you fly fisherman
me and my dad go up to cherokee about 4 times a year
and before the trophy waters started, i used to go right down under the high school bridge to my little honeyhole, used to catch 14 to 19 everytime in that hole. i have tried fly fishing but im not that great haha.
WinMag.300, do you know where the river valley camprground is?

WinMag.300

I sure do

I know exactly where that campground is.

scteenhunter13

well im sure you know the trophy waters start at that bridge.
me and my dad were in the water right up from the bridge beside the campground, and we both landed 18 inchers.
i guess their swimming upstream when they stock right there ???
but anyways, before the trophy waters, did you fish in cherokee?

Jarred

Nice fish. Not catching many leaves I don't guess.

WinMag.300

yep they definitely

swim away and disperse themselves once stocked.