Revolver

tgc

Anybody shoot a cap and ball? I’ve got the standard Remington. It’s a kit gun I got 40 years ago for Christmas. Don’t shoot it anymore. No reason to really. I’ve had some irresponsible times at parties years ago with just powder and stuffed with toilet paper. Today I imagine you’d at least spend the night in the jail.

GunnSmokeer

A red dot optic on a cap-and-ball pistol? I assume this means a revolver, right? One where you load each chamber of the cylinder from the front end, with black powder, a ball, and grease (to prevent chain-fire of the next cylinder over). Right?

GunnSmokeer

494314.jpg

Does "cap and ball" and "standard Remington" mean
a handgun that looks like this (1858 Remington replica pictured)?

transfixer

The Remington cap and ball revolvers had a strap over the top of the cylinder, making the whole frame stronger, there is a version called "navy" or sometimes confederate that does not have the strap on top, I have one called a " navy sheriff's model " in .36 caliber

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 2

tgc

Wife and I went to a civil war re-enactment and one Calvary trooper carried 6 of these. Each hip, each boot and each side of the saddle =6.

Lilly001

I have one.
It's a hoot to shoot.
I use the pellets instead of loose powder.
It's like most traditional BP. Lots of smoke and little recoil.

Geno67

I had an 1860 Colt Army until some knothead helped himself to it from my truck at a horse show in Illinois some many many moons ago. I do not have a cap and ball currently.

SASS249

My 1858 Remington is also a 40 year old kit gun. Over the years I have put a lot of rounds through it and used it in some early cowboy action shoots. It is a joy to shoot and remains the most accurate revolver I own, at least out to 50 yards.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
There must have been a big production run of those Remington kit guns. I bought one and put it together myself. Dicropan from Brownell's made a good blue job.

aabradley82

I went big and got a walker repro a couple weeks ago. Still got to file the sights a little. Shoots about 2’ high. Lots of fun, but it’s a monster for sure. I’m thinking a 58 or 60 is next, I’ll stick with 44s for now to use the same balls.

Hover Smith had a walker built up with a red dot and killed deer and hogs

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a .36 Confederate Navy brass frame. Fun little gun to shoot.

frankwright

I have an 1860 Army Brass frame that I bought a long time ago. Probably 1970!
A company called EMF used to have an ad in Shotgun news and other outdoor magazines. I think I paid $40 for it!
I have balls and powder for it but I have not shot it in a long time!