Richard B. Russell Dam

I live in athens and i was told by someone a few days ago that he was catching a lot of stripers at Richard B. Russell Dam. Im thinking of going and trying it out. It is in Elberton, but there is a dam at the top and bottom of the lake, im trying to figure out which one is shoreline accessable. Also what kinds of baits/tackle to use. Anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dirk

Russell Dam

If he caught a bunch he was probably below the Russell dam in Clarks Hill lake. There are very few stripers in Lake Russell(not regularly stocked) but MANY thousands in Clarks Hill (Hundreds of thousands stocked there each year). I have never fished there but have heard you can tie your boat off to the warning bouys or anchor up by them and fish live shad or herring either under floats or on the bottom. For artificials you can try throwing a bucktail or heavy swimbait, let it sink to the bottom and then jig it in. OR you can throw cutbait (blueback herring probably is best) out on the bottom. If I went there I would have livebaits swimming around out under balloons, live baits on the bottom using 1-2 oz sinkers, cutbait on the bottom, AND would be bouncing a bucktail or swimbait off the bottom while I was waiting for one of those to get bit..... :D:bounce::D

I met a father and son who were catching them trolling a little swim bait off the points. 2 weeks ago. I’ve had no luck.