Rick & Louie B. Carters & Allatoona Report (PIC HEAVY)

Rick_Shoup

Hello guys & gals,

This is my first post on the Freshwater Fishing Forum. Many of you may not know me, but I'm Rick Shoup, I live in Woodstock and my home lake is Allatoona. I have been friends with Louie Bartenfield for several years and I'm honored to be working with him as of last summer.

Just wanted to give y'all a quick report on Carters Lake and Lake Allatoona. After this last snow/ice storm the water level has been rising rapidly on both lakes. Be careful of the debris - it is thick in certain places! If you've been fishing on any lake in Georgia this past week you have seen a dramatic increase in air/surface temperature - feels good!

Carters Lake - The water clarity is 5+ft with surface temps averaging 45-48 although I did run across some pockets holding 50 degree surface temps.

Stripers fishing is slow. Down lines seem to be working best in the 30-40ft. range over 75-100ft. of water using trout, gizzard and theadfin shad. We appreciate Shawn at Striper Soup for supplying us with healthy lively shad and Buddy at Bart's Bait & Tackle for strong reliable trout. If you're around the Allatoona area stop in and talk to Craig at the The Dugout - He has been a tremendous help with live bait and all of our tackle needs.

Spotted Bass fishing is good averaging 8-10 per day using Spotsticker Crawlers w/unpainted ball head tipped with Big Bite skirted twin tails and Shaking Squirrels in green pumpkin color. We've also had some success with the drop shot. Sight fishing with the electronics is key.

Lake Allatoona - Water clarity approx. 3ft. with surface temps averaging 43-44 degrees main lake and warming. I have seen surface temps 50+ degrees in the upper end.

Striper/hybrid fishing is tough although I'm graphing A LOT of fish. Free lining trout is your best bet. You may see fish schooling in main lake pockets eating tiny threadfin shad and when you do - make sure you have a fluke ready!

Also, I've been following the shad kill since early January and saw some coves loaded with dead shad UNDER THE ICE! The fishing may be tough now, but I expect a good Spring and Summer bite with big numbers of all species being caught.

Spotted bass - break out the jerkbait especially if the wind is blowing on rocky and red clay points. Pausing 4-5 seconds between twitches will entice bites. Jigs and crankbaits have been working in the same areas.

Crappie fishing is really good! We've been breaking in some new St. Croix Ultra-light spinning rods which are the perfect crappie rod. We've been catching limits of crappie on a regular basis. Fish are staging. Crappie are being caught in the mouths of creeks to half-way back. I've heard reports of fish being caught in the back of creeks in as little as 7-8ft. of water.

Be safe out there and if you see Louie or me on the water please say hello.

Rick

Attachments

• Pic 1.JPG
    Pic 1.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,404
  • Pic 3.JPG
    Pic 3.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,385
  • Pic 4.JPG
    Pic 4.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,398
  • Pic 5.JPG
    Pic 5.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,433
  • Pic 6.JPG
    Pic 6.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Pic 7.JPG
    Pic 7.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Pic 8.JPG
    Pic 8.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,401
  • Pic 9.JPG
    Pic 9.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,464
  • Pic 10.JPG
    Pic 10.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,391
  • Pic 11.JPG
    Pic 11.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 1,461
  • Pic 13.JPG
    Pic 13.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Pic 14.JPG
    Pic 14.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Pic 16.JPG
    Pic 16.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 1,403
  • Pic 19.JPG
    Pic 19.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 1,399
  • Pic 21.JPG
    Pic 21.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Pic 20.JPG
    Pic 20.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,395
  • Pic 22.JPG
    Pic 22.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,379

joehughes1965

Great post and report Rick! Thanks for sharing!

russell dobbs

Very good report and thanks.You are working with one of the best-LB. Good to see a report of Allatoona, even if it is not good news. Good luck.

arrow4u

now that is a REPORT!!!!!!!!!!! well written and easily readable.

i would like to see this more often for other lakes.

The Foreigner

Rick that's a great report. Thanks. Allatoona was tough today - couldn't even put a fish in the boat. Hope to see you on the lake sometime.

Rick_Shoup

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words. I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years as well. And working with LB is like having a personal/professional mentor in your life everyday - man that guy knows a lot! He's an awesome person both on and off the water!

Also, The Foreignor, you fish almost as much as I do!
I met you in the s-turns a couple of months ago. You gave me some bait (gizzards) and we talked for a minute. Hope to see you on the water soon my friend - The Hybrid/Striper bite will be happening real soooon!

Blessings!

The Foreigner

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words. I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years as well. And working with LB is like having a personal/professional mentor in your life everyday - man that guy knows a lot! He's an awesome person both on and off the water!

Also, The Foreignor, you fish almost as much as I do!
I met you in the s-turns a couple of months ago. You gave me some bait (gizzards) and we talked for a minute. Hope to see you on the water soon my friend - The Hybrid/Striper bite will be happening real soooon!

Blessings!

Good enough Rick. Good to put a face to a post. See you on the water. From my dealings with LB you are in good company there my friend.

mpwarrak

Just wanted to voice my thanks for the report also, very well done. I'm glad I'm not missing much on Allatoona right now as we just had a new baby a couple weeks ago.
Keep it up and see you out there soon!