Rifle Expo

bullgator

This should be the final class schedule
https://precisionrifleexpo.com/classes

the wind class with Emil Praslick of Berger is always a good one as well as the Precision Reloading Class with Troy Lawton
I’m going to try and catch the 2:00 Saturday reloading class.

Applied Ballistics had classes on the UKD range in ‘19.

Jester896

Senior Clown
they were on the left end KD Range like in the map ChidJ posted...across from the main tent...up where the Armegeddon truck parks.

It's a good class...I thought it was the 2 times I attended. I'm sure we will get there pretty early.

Jester896

Senior Clown
After Action Report:

The very first thing we did was hit the range. I shot one of the newer Daniel Defense Rifles in Needmoor and it wasn't bad. I sent 3 rounds, first 2 using the DOPE the spotter gave me. He didn't catch anything on the first round. The wind was strong from maybe 7-8:00 @ 16-20 mph I think. I chambered another and sent it pretty quick, I caught that one...just over and right of the right shoulder. I used holds from the first info and what I saw and sent another and I saw the impact lights light up on the target I was shooting at 800 yds. I was shooting from a bench and my alignment wasn't good on the first round...so the rifle moved to the side on recoil. If I had seen the first round impact I could have made it in 2 shots. I made a fundamental error not checking my NPA.

We also really liked the the MDT HNT26 Carbon Chassis...comes in at 26 oz. It would be great for a light weight hunting rifle. One in our group is looking to make a couple lightweight rifles for his customers to shoot long range hogs at night...he sent a couple of rounds on it. Then the tent on the end had a 5oz suppressor that if I stayed another minute I might have purchased.

Inside the tent we spent a bunch of time with Curtis Custom actions, Danial Defense, Accu-Tac, Trigger Tec and Bore-Tech. Bore-Tech is coming out with a new product sometime in November I think. We mentioned that we wished someone made a good suppressor cleaner. I/we will be on the lookout for that when it comes out in November! I don't think there 1/2 of the vendors there that I normally see there. Someone said Manners didn't come because they were already running 20 months out :eek:

There weren't that many classes this trip either:

Wind Reading with Emil Praslik
Fundamentals with Frank Galli
Precision Reloading with Troy Lawton
Rifle Cleaning/Maintenance...think the folks from Bore-tech did that
Kestrel with Kestrel
Optics 101

I have taken the Wind Reading Class a couple of times and Mr. Praslik, he is with Berger, Lapua and Applied Ballistics....has some interesting views on wind...well worth the sit.

I have also taken the Precision Reloading class a couple of times. Mr. Lawton is a real down to earth guy IMO and has a great deal of knowledge....dang good PRS Shooter too. IIRC he is from somewhere in SW GA.

We opted to sit in on the Fundamentals class with Mr Galli. I am disappointed that we left early to go eat. I picked up several things that I want to try to incorporate into my kit form his class, drop holds, bipod loading, I like his chassis thoughts for the recoil pad he has. There were several others as well.

We all left there with some good items.
One got a Curtis Valor Action...they had some good show pricing going on too. We all picked up some Bore-Tech items...hard to believe my buddy didn't know about their Proof Positive line of brushes and jags. In the other thread here we were discussing false copper signs from jags...I forgot the brushes have the same type core. If you have a nylon brush with a brass core you could get a false positive too...not just the bronze doing it. 2 of us picked up Accu-Tac PC-4 bipods...they are both pan and tilt...we both opted for the ARCA rail mount and I will pick up the picatinny mount at a later time. I doubt that I will ever use the pan feature with my long range gun (ARCA rail) but I may with an AR at a later time and the mounts are easy to swap with standard tools. We all picked up a Trigger Tec Diamond in straight...they had some good show pricing too

It was a good day with time well spent

Dub

That's cool about the Frank Galli class @Jester896

I enjoy his podcast when commuting & he hit a home run creating Sniper's Hide website/forum.

Jester896

Senior Clown
very lightly and gave us some hand outs...it is all in MRAD. I went to my office and laminated the 2 sheets today.
one of the things I took away from that portion is .1=10 yards in mils and .25MOA=25 yards. Never really though of it like that

Jester896

Senior Clown
@Dub I also liked his views on scope mounting...they are very similar to mine. If you have to turn your head sideways to see out of the scope you have set the rifle up incorrectly. It doesn't matter how high the scope is. Everybody want to get their scope as low as they can on their rifle. He made a reference... something you might be laying on the couch watching with your eyes side ways...then when the really good stuff come on you sit up so that your eyes are level so you can see it better. You should find the comfortable spot...measure how high the scope needs to be...mount the scope...focus the reticle...and set eye releif. I think that is pretty close to what he said.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

@Dub I also liked his views on scope mounting...they are very similar to mine. If you have to turn your head sideways to see out of the scope you have set the rifle up incorrectly. It doesn't matter how high the scope is. Everybody want to get their scope as low as they can on their rifle. He made a reference... something you might be laying on the couch watching with your eyes side ways...then when the really good stuff come on you sit up so that your eyes are level so you can see it better. You should find the comfortable spot...measure how high the scope needs to be...mount the scope...focus the reticle...and set eye releif. I think that is pretty close to what he said.

Sounds like the natural position is the sweet spot.

Makes sense.

Just from hearing his podcast and reading through his book...I get a good feeling about him being able to relate well to students. He can convey the info and get his students moving forward. You have a much more accurate sense of that after sitting in on that class. I may be way off ???
He just seems like good people...someone who can communicate concepts really well.

I've heard him say repeatedly that the first part of classes...the first outside part, anyway....they have to remount and refit scopes & stocks. Some of his class will have ill-fitted or poorly installed gear that they'll work through.

It surprised me. I figured people spending the time & money to travel to one of his classes would likely have their stuff together....more advanced than a typical shooter.

Perhaps such things are best thought of differently than "basics". A better term may be "fundamentals".