Riflescope for AR -15

turkeyhook

I am looking a budget [$ 200.00] max. red or green lighted reticle scope for coyote hunting something no bigger than 40 mm .What do you guys think?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I would look at the Athalon 1x4. May be a tad over 200 but very nice. Other than that there are plenty of cheap 1x4 scopes, vortex, bushnell, primary arms, nikon, may even find a leupold vx hog . Ive seen them go for $120
I just like 1x4 on ar's

lonewolf247

I bought an Athlon 1-4x for my M&P 15-22. I haven’t mounted yet, but just from unboxing it and looking through it, it seems clear, solid, and impressive, for the money.

LittleDrummerBoy

Used lots of low power scopes over the years. Even when my eyes were a lot younger, 4-5x magnification in an inexpensive scope is marginal for coyote in tough light conditions much past 100 yards. Most ARs have the accuracy to shoot coyotes out to 200 yards (or more). Unless your hunting conditions limit shots to 100 yards, I think you'll likely want an 8-10X top end magnification.

ditchdoc24

I went with the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on my AR. I imagine it would do pretty well on coyotes. It has an illuminated reticle and BDC for shots out to 500+ yards. I've been pretty pleased with it so far.

If a lower magnification scope will work, then Primary Arms 1-4x24 with illuminated reticle @ $129 is a decent choice. For $200, the Vortex Crossfire II in 1-4x24 and IR #4 is very good for the $$.

Reactions: Dub

sleepr71

I had a Primary Arms 1-6x on one of my previous AR’s & thought it was an excellent choice out to 300yds(on Coyotes). I think it was around $250 + mount. I will caution you on One thing though...a LOT of these “Lighted Reticle” scopes are too bright to use at Night. Even in lowest setting..they are still too bright & distracts you from the target. Unless they have a very dim/night vision power level...I usually WONT turn them on at Night & just shoot with the (Black) reticle. I have a 1-8x Vortex Strike Eagle (iirc) on one AR & feel like its ideal...although 2X your budget. My opinion:save your money up until you can buy what you feel is THE BEST optic,for that rifle & how you will use it? A cheap optic will cost you shots on game,and will end up in the gun cabinet..collecting dust! Wasted money?

transfixer

I have two scopes with illuminated reticles, didn't buy them for that reason, bought them for tube size and style of adjustment knobs, but have yet to use the illumination while hunting, I've tried it at dusk, to see what it looked like, but even at lowest setting it seemed to obscure the target somewhat, to me its a selling gimmick. Maybe one with an illuminated center dot would work , but not one where the crosshairs are illuminated.

ringorock

Strike eagle 1-6 when it goes on sale at optics planet or psa could be had for about $230 with a cantilever. I went with a non illuminated and bought a vx freedom 1.5-4.

GunnSmokeer

I've never used a lighted reticle in low light conditions, but from what I've seen by looking thru them in daylight or inside a gun store / at a gun show, they may very well be too bright to use at night or close to darkness. I know with certainty that red dot optics can be too bright-- and that's why all of them have adjustable brightness. I might use the near-maximum bright setting during the day, or at a well-lit indoor range that's got some floodlights pointed at my target, but I turn the dot down to "1" or "2" on the dial for shooting after the sun has set.

GunnSmokeer

One thing that I have found about rifle scopes-- the modern ones in variable power ranges seem to have a very small "eye box" which requires you to put your face in just the right place to get a full view of the target through the scope. All my older scopes, especially the fixed power 4X models that I prefer, have a huge area in which your eye can be put and still give you the full view. That is good for fast snap-shooting, or following a moving animal during hunting.

A low power scope with a large lens on the back end (ocular lens) and an equal OR or smaller (but not significantly larger) front lens (objective lens) is my preference for another reason-- the flared-out front "bell" of the scope doesn't obstruct your periphrial vision around the scope. There's no big black doughnut around your target, your backstop, and the things in close proximity to the animal you're aiming at.

A scope with a small back lens and a large (40mm to 50 mm) front lens can have this doughnut-ring effect. A scope that's only got a 32mm front lens and a similar-sized back lens gives a fuller field of view, both thru it and AROUND it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
With Nikon going out of the Scope business I must get a dozen emails a day about huge discounts on their Scopes at places like Natchezz , Field Supply and Midway.
Nikon has some AR specific scopes well under $200 along with many other scopes that will work.