Right now, the near future and the distant future...

Jim Boyd

that is some of the nicest volunteer clover ive seen you have your soil ph just right

We have about 10 acres of volunteer clover - seemingly a gift from God.

All of these fields are 6.4 to 6.9 pH if I recall correctly. They were last limed in 2018.

The deer are heavy on the fields and I generally see some birds on each cam when I pull the cards.

Jim Boyd

Those trees should really benefit from all that nitrogen that clover is producing

They are doing great so far...

100 sawtooths are green and about halfway up a 60” tube.

We planted 50 pears a little late and they are starting to leaf out.

Takes patience I know, but I want to see some progress !

53F82083-6873-467E-A55E-CBF168BFFAD9.jpeg72D245A0-4F22-4BFC-9D10-45534AFB7B3C.jpeg53F82083-6873-467E-A55E-CBF168BFFAD9.jpeg72D245A0-4F22-4BFC-9D10-45534AFB7B3C.jpeg

buckmanmike

Your hard work is paying off. Do I understand correctly that you lease this land? I hope you have a long term lease because thats a major investment. Looking good.

Jim Boyd

Your hard work is paying off. Do I understand correctly that you lease this land? I hope you have a long term lease because thats a major investment. Looking good.

Mike,

Thanks for the kind comments.

The farm is on a handshake. 10 years now.

We have discussed this before and yes, the land can be lost. In fact, history suggests that it WILL eventually be lost.

Here is where I am...

As a steward - we are faced with a good many decisions.

The plots have been in use for years now, so to me - they are a given. I have about 35 acres on 844.

So, now come the trees. Many folks have commented on the investment so I see the concern about loss.

Rather than focusing on what CAN be lost - why not focus on what CAN be gained?

We planted 100+ sawtooths and 52 pear trees. The total cost was about $1100 if I recall correctly.

There are 8 of us so it was $137.50 per member - and we supplied the labor.

I also purchased a used 3 pt auger and 12” blade for $475 IIRC. Made planting the trees easy and have been wanting one for years for gates and such.

The $137 per member - many folks would spend more than that for deer corn in a single year - some would spend a lot more than that.

To me, making the investment in the property - the possible gains far outweigh the losses.

Not one of my members balked at all about the project - money or work wise.

There is also the incremental good will that it generates with the landowner. I planted one of the pear trees in his yard and you would have thought I gave him a new truck.

I plan to do this - perhaps on a smaller scale - in future years.

Following @Kdog advice I am going to transition the oak process to locally gathered seed stock and all I would them need would be the tubes.

We will see how it goes!!!