Right to Retrieve Law

Killdee

This is an old post, but was there a right to retrieve law passed here in Ga I haven’t heard about? For dogs, deer?

specialk

Va is the only state that still has a RTR law i think....their are stipulations and i'm not well versed on them....

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
This is probably far off what we are talking about but I'm 14 y/o safe with a gun on our property 150 acres i'm following a creek thru our property just walking checking things out after about an hour this guy and his brother come out of no where and are giving me the what for cause I was on there property maybe 500 yards or so up this little creek i di dn't know what to do but go back down the creek to where I started well that was not good enough I recon but to get back to the story a couple of my older brothers came a hollering for me and ran up on us and seen how he was acting because i was kinda lost on his property but had it not been for them coming and finding me(retrieving me)i don't know what I would have done so for him to act like that with a human know telling what they would have done with my hounds.So to make a long sory short I NEVER leave my hounds behind I go straight in and out with as little commotion as possible.And have no problem with anyone else doing the same the problem I have is when they ride there atv's and just make trails where they wnt and that burns me up cause I know they would not like it being done to there property.

just wondered if you figured out what a period was in the past 9 years?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Good but we need a special filter for stream of conscience reading.

I have always liked this example on punctuation:
Let's eat Grandma
Lets eat, Grandma.

specialk

just wondered if you figured out what a period was in the past 9 years?

What probably happened Pappy was the thread is so old that the periods fell off the post over time....i've seen this happen before.....question marks and exclamation points especially because they are heavier.....

LittleDrummerBoy

Not a fan of a "right to retrieve" law, since that really means "right to trespass." I'd far prefer land I hunt have controlled access, so hunters on neighboring properties cannot come wandering across interrupting our hunters and opening our gates any time they please just because they shot at something and may have found blood.

As the man who grants hunting and tracking permission, I've never denied a neighboring hunter permission to retrieve their game. But I always insist it be done in a way that minimizes the negative impact on the property in question. It is permission to track and retrieve. It is not permission to hunt or shoot. Guns and bows must not be brought onto the property without hunting permission. Ongoing hunts must not be interrupted - tracking may be delayed until after legal shooting hours. Drunks or others misbehaving may be denied access completely, while a team of sober and respectful hunters will be assembled to recover and bring the game to the purported shooter.

Access to private property should be coordinated with the owner/manager of that property as well as others hunting it at the time. The best way to ensure that is to require explicit permission on a case-by-case basis. "Right-to-retrieve" can too easily become a free for all, especially with game wardens and other enforcement spread as thinly as they are.

Tadder

Had some folks that had there Hog Dogs run hogs from the land they where on to our land we hunt. I caught 1 dog and he then just flowed me. So I here a guy hollar for the dogs so I head that way. They was 3 fellers with guns and catch dogs walking down one of our roads in the middle of our club. I walked up too them and introduced myself and as if they knew where they were. They all admitted they knew they were over the line but just wanted too retrieve there dogs. 1 ask if I had are was gonna call DNR. I told him no, but I wasn't happy about them messing up my daughters turkey hunt. They all started apologizing and stated they where hunting on a neighbors land and didn't know turkey season had started. I told em they need to check there reg. if they were not sure . Well we talked and they got there other dog too come back and I ask them too not come back unless they contacted me. They had no problem with that and was very glad I wasn't the type too get mad and just call DNR. I told if I ever had a Hog Problem that they would be contacted and I go with them . I fill like this is the best way too try and handle thing like this. Them boys was hunting a big track of land and that hog took em dogs on a run that put em on us . DOGS CAN'T READ BUT PEOPLE CAN. They still aught to be able too get them dogs back without a big fuss. Aint had no problems out of them boys scene and they've took a lot of hogs off the property next door. They text me once and said they had a dog about 100 yes. bayed up on my side and just wanted too get the dog. I told too kill the hog if they could and getter out of there. They got the dog but the hog slipped out on em. They been respectful and that has gone along ways too keep peace. Now that being said , if they had've been rude the 1st time we meet. They may have just meet DNR that day because he was close by when I talked with him later that day. He was glad it was handle in a good way and glad we had no big problem. Now I know if I had not been there that day they probably would've hunted on that day but they know now where I stand about things. Hopefully other will try too work things out and hopefully if any dog hunter has there dog cross the line try too retrieve the dog and just leave with out a fuss if possible . My more than 2 cents worth. If I shoot a deer and he crosses the line I'd like too retrieve it and I know there no problem. Sorry another subject . But it can all work out for everyone if we try.

Tadder

We are talking bout hunting dogs not just any jo boo that lets his dogs lost are don't keep em up. Lots of good comments on here good tread. Hope Folks will at least try too work it out just be honest and respectful too others, both ways.

outdoorman

027181:

What would a game warden or sheriff say if you tell him, your going to trespass after being told not to by the landowner so you can get your dog?
Would the 'LAW' tell you to just go ahead?

Last edited:

Beagles N Boykins

this My have been covered in another reply but the answer to this issue is a Garmin Alpha. I run 11 beagles and at other times 4 bird dogs. I wouldn’t put any of my dogs on the ground without a Garmin on them. I purchased the chip with property lines and get a clear understanding of the property when on a new place. If the dogs get near a road or another property I just call them back. Problem solved. If there was an issue with a collar I’d try to contact the land owner but one way or another I’d get my dog. That being said in the last 4yrs running the Alpha I’ve had no issues.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
i love my Boykin, but that whole " Dang the torpedos, full speed ahead" attitude of 'I'ma git my dawg' would sure not play out with a lot of folks up here in the hills. People have been shot for less. At this point, it might be good to go read that abandoned well thread.

If your dog goes onto someone else property, and they won't let you go get it, call the law. Maybe they can talk the owner into allowing you in.

280 Man

Banned
SC has no "right to retrieve" law. Private property is private property and if your dogs or intended quarry runs on to that property and dies you must have permission to retrieve. Also, it will do you no good to call the LEO's. LEO's cannot "make" the property owner give you permission nor will they come out to the area! If you go ahead and trespass to retrieve your dog or game the landowner can prosecute!

The best thing is to talk to property owners in advance. It's amazing what a meet and greet can accomplish rather than show once your dogs or deer has crossed over the lines! Property owners do not like to be made to feel like they are being taken advantage of!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
SC has no "right to retrieve" law. Private property is private property and if your dogs or intended quarry runs on to that property and dies you must have permission to retrieve. Also, it will do you no good to call the LEO's. LEO's cannot "make" the property owner give you permission nor will they come out to the area! If you go ahead and trespass to retrieve your dog or game the landowner can prosecute!

The best thing is to talk to property owners in advance. It's amazing what a meet and greet can accomplish rather than show once your dogs or deer has crossed over the lines! Property owners do not like to be made to feel like they are being taken advantage of!

Georgia doesn't have one either. And you are correct about the landowners. If a man came up to me and said " hey, I am hunting over on Mr XXXX's property and sometimes my dog runs a coon a long ways before I can get him. If he happens on your property, would it be ok with you if I walked in and got him. I would leave my gun in my truck, if you would let me."

I would tell him take the gun with him and shoot the coon out for the dog.

But, a man comes up on my porch at midnight and says... Hey, my dog is on your property and I am going to get him..... I don't think I would be quite as hospitable to him. And someone that says he doesn't give a hang if I said to stay off my property, he was going in anyway.... it wouldn't be a good day for either of us, I think

I've had problems with coon hunters for years. I'll prosecute a couple then they'll quit for a while then different coon hunters move in. They're all trying to hunt small acreage knowing their dogs are going to cross property lines. I spoke to a game warden a couple weeks ago and he said there has been a lot of talk about requiring all dog hunting to follow the same acreage requirements as deer dogging.

TurkeyH90

I've had problems with coon hunters for years. I'll prosecute a couple then they'll quit for a while then different coon hunters move in. They're all trying to hunt small acreage knowing their dogs are going to cross property lines. I spoke to a game warden a couple weeks ago and he said there has been a lot of talk about requiring all dog hunting to follow the same acreage requirements as deer dogging.
Well, that would be great if they did. They should really just outlaw dog hunting all together. Why would anyone enjoy want to hunt anything but a deer anyways?

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I catch anyone on my property without my permission and I assume they are a threat and I act accordingly.

If you get my permission I will assist you in finding your dog, deer, whatever.

As far as dogs go, control your animal. He gets out, it happens. You hunt and let him run wild that is another story.

edit: Thread from 2011. Been had again.

Last edited:

across the river

Well, that would be great if they did. They should really just outlaw dog hunting all together. Why would anyone enjoy want to hunt anything but a deer anyways?

The problem is a lot of people get dogs for hogs, rabbits, coons, etc.... but have no where to hunt. If they do have somewhere it is 10 acres behind me maw's house that the dogs have no way of staying on for two seconds. They when you ask them to stay off of your place or don't give them permission, you are a "bad guy." It always amazes me the guys that can't possibly afford a lease but can somehow manage to feed multiple coon dogs and hog dogs they have no where to take hunting. If you want to run dogs great, but you need to have your own place to do it, and it should be your responsibility to do everything possible to keep the dogs on your own place. I get stuff occasionally happens, but this I attitude that people show have the "right" to run there dogs on any size tract they want, and then just ramble on some else's land to get them is ludicrous. If you don't have much land, sell the coon dogs and start hunting squirrels.

outdoorman

I catch anyone on my property without my permission and I assume they are a threat and I act accordingly.

Although I am against anyone entering private land to retrieve their dog or game without seeking permission;
I am more against this sort of thinking which sounds a lot like threatening the trespasser with violence .
Do this and you will be on the wrong side of the law and justifiably so!

edit: Thread from 2011. Been had again.