Right to Retrieve Law

ryan_beasley

Instead of bashing another thread, I want to know some of the pros/cons of how people feel on this topic. I do not want to argue or cause arguement and I will delete the thread if it turns to that. I try to keep my hounds off other people's property. I'm not talking about poaching, turning loose on 3 acres and expect your dog to stay on it, or anything like that. I am a landowner, and year around hunter of whatever is in season. I would like to know for the people that disagree strongly, what could we do as dog hunters to make the right to retrieve law work for you personally. I do not want 10 head of armed people on my land at 1am everynight either. I understand that point completely! However, I have NO problem with anyone being on my property to retrieve a hound that stumbled on my property. For my thoughts, I would be fine with one person, no weapons, straight path to and from, as quickly as possible. Sure you would have to fine tune it but that's my first thoughts. Give me your thoughts good or bad, but not in arguing context.

Ryan Beasley

I am not a landowner, but I do lease property to hunt on. I would not want it to become a common occurence, but I wouldn't mind if one unarmed person were to enter my property to retrieve a dog or pack of dogs. I have trespassed more than once to retrieve my buddy Ed's beagles while rabbit hunting. That said, I would prefer the hunters to call/shock the dogs back rather than trespassing. We always try to retrieve the dogs without corssing property lines, but occasionally, the collars don't work.

DuckHuntin101

i agree because i have been coonhunting for a while and after that long you figure out that hounds have a mind of there own and you cannot control where they run and tree at. with that being said i wish everybody thought this way because if they you wouldnt have to worry bout getting cussed out cause your hounds went somewhere they didnt need to be. or getting the law called

hawg dawg

I am in 100% agreement with a right to retrieve law as long as nothing is damaged or disturbed in the process.

jabb06

anytime my coonhound has went on someone elses land or i have a wounded deer run on to an adjoining property i would go over to the land owners house & ask for permission to retrieve the dog or deer.im always nice & polite.i have never been turned away from gaining entry to their land.Ive had 2 landowners that have told me next time dont bother asking just go ahead & get them.I know not all landowners will be as accomidating as the ones ive encountered.I believe in treating people the way I would like to be treated.I do not think it would be right for there to be a law that gives anybody a right to come on your property with a claim of a lost hound.I think that would open the doors for posers to gain entry to see what they could come back later & steal.Law enforcement are required to have permission or a court order to enter private property so I dont think it should be any differtent for Joe Blow chasing his hound.

Last edited:

Cottontail

I rabbit hunt and used to coon hunt i have no problem with anyone coming on my land getting there hounds. I also understand that if someone has no knowledge of coon hunting and is woke up at night by treeing hounds in there backyard and lights shining everywhere they are going to call the law or yell or shoot !!! Ive had this happen plenty of times while coon hunting i remember laying in the woods watching the police cars ride back and forth shining lights looking for us !!Ive been shot at cussed out you name it we had it happen to us while coon hunting !!!! LOL Kinda brings back some good memories.But all joking aside it depends on the individual everyone reacts diffrently. Thats why i started rabbit hunting !!!!!! LOL

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I would never refuse permission to anyone for comin` on my land to get their dogs, or a deer that they shot and it ran over on my place and died. And if I couldn`t be found, they could still go on it with no repercussions.

With that said, I would fight tooth and nail, against any such right to retrieve law.

Jody Hawk

I would never refuse permission to anyone for comin` on my land to get their dogs, or a deer that they shot and it ran over on my place and died. And if I couldn`t be found, they could still go on it with no repercussions.

With that said, I would fight tooth and nail, against any such right to retrieve law.

That's a good post Nic. Like you, I would never refuse someone access to retrieve their dogs or a deer. Landowners should have rights though. What about the coonhunter who turns out on 150 acres or the bowhunter who hunts on ten acres? I've coonhunted before, I know how far a dog can go before it trees. I also read it on here all the time where someone has access to bowhunt on a small lot within a subdivision. It's unrealistic to believe that you will stay within the property lines.

Last edited:

georgia_home

I am 100% against. don't trespass. It's that simple. I don't mean to sound harsh.

Think of it like this. If you attempt to allow this, it would be abused. It is why atv access is NOT allowed on MOST public land. Because people will abuse. Your 3 acre example is what would happen... By abusers. And no, not everyone is an abuser! but let's face it, and abuser will turn a landowner sour quickly. Bad apples and all...

IMHO, the time to get permission is the off season. Get to know your neighbors now, ask them, may I retrieve if one runs over the line?

The side effect of this is also this... By getting to know the other locals you may be able to better manage your land for deer or turkey or whatever. You can share info, kill rates, sightings, etc. Communication is a good thing.

Coon Doggie

Ryan, this has been discussed for years. The more I hear and think the more I get confused. I see alot of positive and alot of negative, at this point I see more negative. The positive being, a law abiding hunter cross a property line retrieve dog and get back on his side of the line, if this was carried out in this manner I think it could possibly work. The negative which I feel is very negative, is alot of hunters will use this to gain access to property that alot have been told to stay off of. You and I both know this will happen. What will stop the thief that walks around with a dog stating the dog was on your property and he was just walking around your house to retrieve his dog ? I have alot of questions on this matter. I have heard some states have this, I would like to see stats of how it is working out. I am glad you made this post, you will get a feedback from everyone. I just feel at this time it will not work, I think too many will abuse it.

Good luck, Good post,
Greg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Most folks I have dealt with when a beagle got away from me were very understanding. That being said I do my best to put myself in the land owners position.

I had a pack take a rabbit off the land I was hunting on by invitation this year. It was a large property. They ended up circling through a guys horse pasture. Dogs and horses both got a bit spooked, luckily they wanted no parts of each other. All but one hound came back to me. I own horses so was very worried about the land owners stock. I was searching on how to get to the house when my cell phone rang. The land owner had my beagle in hand and asked where I was to bring the hound to me. I thanked him and asked if anything was harmed at his place and expressed my concern. If anything would have been wrong it was my fault, I couldn't control where they went but they were my hounds. All turned out well in the end for all concerned. Law or not I would not have went in the gentlemens pasture without his permission.

If anything as a land owner myself I want the stray laws strengthened. Folks letting there dogs wander and chase stock just isn't right. I see it alot living out in the country. Horses being chased or cows calving being worried.

Big difference in stray dogs and boundary crossed while running though.

GA DAWG

I see no need for it..Although if other hound hunters want it..I'll support em! If mine get somewhere they aint supposed to be..I'll try and find who owns it..If I cant..I'm going anyhow..Its that simple..My hounds mean a lot more to me than paying some SMALL trespass ticket.. Worst part around here is the move ins who own a ac..I've had them come out and cuss me out and me on my own land:( We have 200ac here and I cant chance turning a dog loose..I'm surrounded by houses! While most times I could tree a coon..That one time they dont get one treed on my land would be bad! A man needs to pick his hunting spots and not just turn loose anywhere...

ryan_beasley

Thanks guys for keeping it civil and telling your thoughts. I looked at several states that have this and a VERY IMPORTANT part of this law that is in almost every state...Before you enter the property, the landowner, local law enforcement, or local game warden must be contacted. If not, you don't go. I can completely see both sides of this, and of course this law would be for the honest person. If someone is going to come on my property with illegal intentions, one more law isn't going to stop them. Does it give too much right to joe blow that wants to be on my or your land??? Maybe if its not written right. That is why I'm asking you guys, what would it take in your opinion for something like this to work? Luckily I do not hunt around people that will not allow me to retrieve my dog if it does ever happen, but this would be for those that do. OR if I ever happen to be on a competition hunt where my guide throws me out on who knows where. Just a thought of mine.

im coming home with my dogs period whether the land owner gives me permision or not, granted if im tresspassing i get in and out as quickly and quietly as possible i've found that if you have a leash in your hand and no gun most land owners wont say a word to you i've even had some wave to me

fqueen1

I think the best possible thing we can do in this case is simply make every effort to get permission and then all is well.

CAL

Never have refused a responsible person access to my property.Have had dogs before and I feel like 027181 about going home with my dogs.I will ask permission if possible but there is that " sometimes" that a dog person just doesn't have time to look up Mr.Property owner.Anybody that doesn't understand the "sometimes" is someone who has never had hunting dogs and doesn't understand what I am talking about.At that time I will enter and leave as quietly and as respectfully as possible with out fan fair or noise.If I am charged with trespassing then so be it,I will pay the fine and say nothing.

Don't anyone misunderstand,I don't advocate trespassing but there are times it is unavoidable.Especially if ones dogs go towards a 4 lane highway.

I would never vote for a law to allow people to enter another persons property to retrieve just freely.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
I'll try and find who owns it..If I cant..I'm going anyhow..Its that simple..My hounds mean a lot more to me than paying some SMALL trespass ticket..

And folks wonder why it is so hard to gain permission now a days........:rolleyes:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
im coming home with my dogs period whether the land owner gives me permision or not, granted if im tresspassing i get in and out as quickly and quietly as possible i've found that if you have a leash in your hand and no gun most land owners wont say a word to you i've even had some wave to me

With that attitude, good luck. You are apt to get your feelins` hurt purty bad.

Old Blue21

Well its like i said in my other post my dogs our like family if somebody shot one because i choose not to trespass then i would be very upset with my self.... i would rather know i got fined for protecting my family then letting them possibly be hurt.....