Right to Retrieve Law

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Make friends with the GW. You could also make friends with the folk who own the properties around the ones you hunt. Do that and you will likely not have a problem getting your hound.

DROPPINEM

be a little better to your dogs than that. And what makes it a coon hound it could it have been a yard dog.

Lets not even start about we don't take care of our dogs. Our dogs aren't just pets they are working dogs. I spend more time in a week hunting and exercising with my dogs than most overweight house dog gets in a month. Come by my house and see how well we take care of our dogs and i'm not just the only one start asking how these guys spend on kennel material or have spent.

If you think i want bang on your door at 3 a.m. To get my dog cause if i have to i will i'll just leave and call the cops so thats just going to keep you up longer.but i'm not gonna turn loose there again . But just because you people own two acres don't start thinking you own the whole side of the mountain.my brother had a lady that would call the cops every time he turned out. She lived at the end of a subdivision and could see the place where he hunted.
If this is the way most of the guys are out here then i'd hate to see what kind of tree huggin,hsus wifes they are married to. Don't any of you people thats never done much hunting besides deer hunting see the need to hunt these hounds. Our founding fathers brought these dogs over and made these breeds as working breeds for us to hunt and i'd bet some of ya'll are probaly against coonhunters and want it to be stopped.
You hikers probaly found the mans dog and feed it so it couldn't leave. If you'd left it alone it would've come back to the hunter most of us if we've lost a hound look for it where we turned out and the roads around it. I would've been mad to that come to find out someone that hiked ten miles in there had been feeding my dogs it probally come up at nite right. A hound can travel alot more country than a human can. Also in todays world you not ever to far away from someones you might have hiked ten miles that day but the coonhunter might have known somewhere else to turn out.

amen,amen and amen

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
No, retrieval of errant dogs is not a law enforcement activity.

Not a duty, but if the GW wants to, he can.

He can walk the property in the course of his duties which include looking for illegal activity. If he comes across a loose dog, especially one with identification on it, he can secure it to determine whether there was any hunting on the lands of another without permission violation. He could then decide that there was and arrest the dog owner or that there was not and return the dog to the owner.

There is nearly always a way.

1222DANO

I don't think this is a big of a deal as it seems. I beleive alot of people think its coonhunters and we get the blame but truth be known just because its a hound doesn't mean its a coondog and i know i've met alot of people who said they coonhunted before and know how its done and what a coondog is but when questioned they don't have no more a clue as the man in the moon. See i beleive we've got a bunch of people that want to hunt that was raised in a subdivision and hunt for six months and want to put on the country boy act and thats ok but its the truth. I know me personally and everyone i know has alot time and money invested in our dogs and want to make sure their as safe as possiable while hunting.

GA DAWG

I don't think this is a big of a deal as it seems. I beleive alot of people think its coonhunters and we get the blame but truth be known just because its a hound doesn't mean its a coondog and i know i've met alot of people who said they coonhunted before and know how its done and what a coondog is but when questioned they don't have no more a clue as the man in the moon. See i beleive we've got a bunch of people that want to hunt that was raised in a subdivision and hunt for six months and want to put on the country boy act and thats ok but its the truth. I know me personally and everyone i know has alot time and money invested in our dogs and want to make sure their as safe as possiable while hunting.
Seems that way dont it..Mine ALWAYS wear a shocking system..When I hit it and holler they know full well they need to be getting to me fast..Ive never shocked one off a tree..I figure if they can get their job done..I can go do mine and get them come heck or high water..I've never really had to deal with someone not letting me get mine..I recken if it came down to it..I could stand at the line and call them out..I'd hate like everything to do it but you got to do what you have to..

1222DANO

seems that way dont it..mine always wear a shocking system..when i hit it and holler they know full well they need to be getting to me fast..ive never shocked one off a tree..i figure if they can get their job done..i can go do mine and get them come heck or high water..i've never really had to deal with someone not letting me get mine..i recken if it came down to it..i could stand at the line and call them out..i'd hate like everything to do it but you got to do what you have to..

thats it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
....I recken if it came down to it..I could stand at the line and call them out..I'd hate like everything to do it but you got to do what you have to..

And there is the crux of the matter. You would not want to call your dog off a tree, but in the absence of permission to enter the other property, that is the right thing to do.

If you go to the dog on the tree, you are hunting without permission on the land of another. That is a violation of the Game Laws in Georgia whether the land is posted or not.

It is always best to work these things out ahead of time.

holler tree

I don't have to give a reason, I own my land, you do not. If I were to think about a reason, the reason would probably be that the same idiot seems to keep having a problem keeping his dogs off of my land. You on the other hand have a legal obligation not to enter my land.

When I purchased my tract, within a year, I caught 3 bunches hunting coons with dogs, one trapping and another fishing because he used to fish there as a farm hand 30 years prior. All were on my land without permission. One acted aggressively and told me his granddad used to hunt my land. I explained to him that I did not give a hoot about what his old granddaddy did before I owned the land, but it was now off limits and if I caught him again, he was going to jail. The prior owner told me NO ONE was ever given permission to hunt or fish.

I don't want your dog. I don't want your loud dog. I don't want you on my land without permission. Pretty simple and pretty basic legal right of a land owner.

one of the main reasons I joined a big club is so I wouldnt have to have the headache of dealing with people like you and the would be only reason why I would be in favor of such a law getting passed. sounds like your property use to be a nice place to hunt before you ended up with it. :rofl: :rofl: btw my loud dogs aint for sale.
no one wants anyone intentionally trespassing on their land but when dogs make it somewhere you didnt mean for them to be then we have to have some way to get them out and I'm not shocking my dogs for doing what I trained them to do. so I gues I'll keep doing like Ive been doing my whole life if there is no number on the posted sign I'm going in and if there is a number and a smart butt answers the phone my next call is to the wife to get the bail money ready because I'm not leaving my dogs....

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Holler tree, the attitude you show in the last post is exactly the the one that puts dog hunters in such a bad light. You think your "rights" trump those of everyone else just because you spent some money on a dog.

Your attitude is much worse than MudDuckers. He is advocating obeying the law and you are advocating breaking it. He is advocating being left alone to the peaceful enjoyment of his private property that he spent a lot more on than you did on your dog. You are advocating that you should be able to break two laws so that you will not have to be inconvenienced by having a place to hunt where you can keep your dog off property where he is not welcome.

MudDucker wants to selfishly keep other people off of his private property. You want to selfishly use other person's private property without their permission. Now, you tell me who is the smart butt here.

holler tree

You want to selfishly use other person's private property without their permission. Now, you tell me who is the smart butt here.

just remember I do call if I can find a number on a posted sign anywhere around I do make an effort to do the right thing. so if you call walking in to get my dogs without a gun selfishly using someones property well I guess Im guilty and I apologize for the footprints I left behind. I will not drive around a gate or damage anything. if I cant walk or swim to my dogs I wait them out. I've only had to go get my dogs once this yr when they got off the property we were hunting and it was when I went hunting with someone else. I dont like it anymore then the landowner does and I do my best to keep my dogs off other peoples places. you wont find many coonhounds you can call off a track or a tree so its going to happen from time to time. now to me a selfish person would make a fellow hunter sit out by the rd all night hoping he can catch his dogs before a car does, just because they can ?? I know some people purposely trespass and hunt or turn out right on the property lines but the majority of us dont and we dont deserve to be classified with them. I've never had anyone around here not let me go get my dogs as a matter of fact most of the time they will tell me to take my gun and shoot him out. maybe I overreacted to his post and Im sure his land cost more than my dogs but I can assure you I love my dogs just as much as he loves sitting out on his property hunting whatever he likes to hunt. now days you got people out there shooting other peoples hounds (which happened to a friend of mine not very long ago and 2 very nice dogs) because they are simply on their property so yeah my feathers get ruffled when someone comes on here so arrogant talking about what an unpleasant conversation you would have with them at 3:00 am. duh, no one wants to be talking at that time in the morning, no one wants to be knocking on a door at that time either, and no one wants to be listening to their dogs on someone elses place while some land owner dangles them over his head at 3:00 am either. treat people like you like to be treated. no need to strut when you have the upper hand and make an unpleasant situation even worse just because you can.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Holler, read back through all my posts on this thread and others on this subject. You will find that I am not against dog hunting. The only problems I would have with an otherwise legal dog hunter would be: first, if it became routine for his dogs to wind up on my property without permission; and second, if a dog hunter displayed the attitude that he was going to come on my property and get his dogs no matter what I thought or said. A dog hunter who does either of these two things does not respect my property rights or the laws of the State of Georgia while selfishly expecting me to respect his nonexistent right to be on my property without permission.

If a dog hunter wants to hunt my place, he would only have to ask. If a dog hunter wants to turn loose on the 2,000 acres behind me and hunt the north side where two creeks drain off my property and thinks his dogs might come over on me, he would only have to ask ahead of time if you can come get them. Folk find me very accommodating.

In the unusual case where a dog hunter encounters a landowner who absolutely will not give permission to retrieve dogs, then it is the duty of the dog hunter to find a place to hunt where his dogs are prevented from getting onto that property. The times have changed and there are areas in Georgia where the woods are not wide open for anyone to hunt like they were sixty years ago. But still, a little planning will solve nearly all the problems.

Dr. Strangelove

no one wants anyone intentionally trespassing on their land but when dogs make it somewhere you didnt mean for them to be then we have to have some way to get them out and I'm not shocking my dogs for doing what I trained them to do. so I gues I'll keep doing like Ive been doing my whole life if there is no number on the posted sign I'm going in and if there is a number and a smart butt answers the phone my next call is to the wife to get the bail money ready because I'm not leaving my dogs....

This is the attitude I don't understand. Even with all of the hand wringing over property line hunting, "die poacher scum", and anti-trespassing threads on this forum, it seems suddenly a bunch of these "law abiding hunters" we have on this forum are suddenly willing to become trespassing poachers when a dog is involved.

It's simple - you have an obligation to keep your dogs off other's property. If the tract is to small, don't dog hunt there. If you can't control these dogs that are so beloved and valuable, then don't hunt them.

Your rights as a dog owner don't trump the rights of others. These aren't the days of "Sounder" and "Where the Red Fern Grow", you can't just traipse all through woods without a care anymore. Those times are gone, get used to it.

GA DAWG

This is the attitude I don't understand. Even with all of the hand wringing over property line hunting, "die poacher scum", and anti-trespassing threads on this forum, it seems suddenly a bunch of these "law abiding hunters" we have on this forum are suddenly willing to become trespassing poachers when a dog is involved.

It's simple - you have an obligation to keep your dogs off other's property. If the tract is to small, don't dog hunt there. If you can't control these dogs that are so beloved and valuable, then don't hunt them.

Your rights as a dog owner don't trump the rights of others. These aren't the days of "Sounder" and "Where the Red Fern Grow", you can't just traipse all through woods without a care anymore. Those times are gone, get used to it.
We can if this law gets passed..::gone:

holler tree

there are other issues with a right to retrieve law other than getting your dogs back cause we all know how we stand on that. how about that buck of a lifetime you just shot and wouldnt you know it he wound up on my land :biggrin2: . no you aint getting him I have been watching him for 4 yrs and planned on shooting him this yr but you beat me to it. luckily for me you are a lousy shot and he made it back home. I might let you come look at him from time to time and maybe after the new wears off I may let you take a picture with him. after all the times have changed ya know we cant all be neighborly anymore and enjoy the true sport of hunting. I'm blessed enough to have a good job so I can afford to join a big club to train my dogs without fear of them getting out of pocket but alot of other people have to hunt where they can and those are the guys who suffer and eventually end up having to quit doing what they love because of all the drama.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
...alot of other people have to hunt where they can and those are the guys who suffer and eventually end up having to quit doing what they love because of all the drama.

No, holler, they have to quit because the situation where they want to run their dogs has changed. A lot of the places I used to hunt are now paved over or have subdivisions built on them. The people who own the property now do not want me hunting in their parking lots and yards. There is no drama, I no longer hunt there.

I would guess that a lot of the places that used to be OK to dog hunt have been purchased by people who do not want dog hunting on their land. There should be no drama, the dog hunter should no longer hunt there.

If a dog hunter runs out of places where he has permission to hunt, and can not keep his dogs off of land where they are not wanted then it is time for him to quit dog hunting and learn to love something else.

And the answer to game retrieval is the same as dog retrieval. It should be worked out before the shot is taken.

Dr. Strangelove

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
We can if this law gets passed..::gone:

DAWG, that would lead to a lot more trouble than you want. It would force a lot of people who have no problem with dog hunting into the camp who would work for a law to outlaw it.

holler tree

No, holler, they have to quit because the situation where they want to run their dogs has changed. A lot of the places I used to hunt are now paved over or have subdivisions built on them. The people who own the property now do not want me hunting in their parking lots and yards. There is no drama, I no longer hunt there.

I would guess that a lot of the places that used to be OK to dog hunt have been purchased by people who do not want dog hunting on their land. There should be no drama, the dog hunter should no longer hunt there.

If a dog hunter runs out of places where he has permission to hunt, and can not keep his dogs off of land where they are not wanted then it is time for him to quit dog hunting and learn to love something else.

And the answer to game retrieval is the same as dog retrieval. It should be worked out before the shot is taken.

Im not talking about subdivisions Im talking about tracts that have enough land to run dogs but the dogs end up off the place from time to time, say once every 6 months. I cant see giving up on a place like that especially if its all I have to hunt. why should we have to change to satisfy others ? I heard a whole line about change a couple of yrs ago I didnt like it then and I dont like it now. Im not changing to suit others without them working with me a little bit too. If it means this law has to get passed to open some eyes so be it. I know this law would give some diehard trespassers the break theyve been looking for but what are the dog hunters suppose to do ? give in and watch their sport die or support a law that will help them even though there are more cons than pros. I know where I'm betting :cool:.