River Fishing Kayak ?????

GregoryB.

Just purchased 52 acres in WV where I grew up. The Bluestone River is just down the mountain a half mile from the house. Will also be fishing the Greenbrier and New River as well. Mostly shallow water with quite a few sets of shoals with ripples. Looking at suggestions for a fishing kayak. Experienced with canoes and kayaks on all types of water.

jocko755

Congrats on your land purchase. Beautiful country!

I have kayaked the New & Greenbriar. I think it's important to get a river hull that is flat or round. Some kayaks have a center line chime for tracking - this is a disaster in current and going over shoals.

I use a Wilderness Systems Pamlico - but I don't think they are made anymore. I like a sit in kayak - they are lightweight and very responsive maneuvering in rapids. Sit on tops are heavier and not as agile. Plus I like my gear inside where it can't be water logged or washed off the SOT deck in rapids.

Qazaq15

Congrats on your land purchase. Beautiful country!

I have kayaked the New & Greenbriar. I think it's important to get a river hull that is flat or round. Some kayaks have a center line chime for tracking - this is a disaster in current and going over shoals.

This is exactly right. I’ve been down both rivers as well, you need something you can turn easily. Did you go down the New river class 5 rapids in a kayak?

All I do with my kayak is river fish and sometimes they're really low and you have to drag. If you're a light weight like me a 9 or 10' kayak is more maneuverable and is large enough for a day trip. Yes on the smooth bottom.