Roatan trip in late april...boot questions

RipperIII

I've got the standard neoprene flats boots, but I hear that the coral in Roatan is significant.
We'll be stalking bones and Permit mostly,...lots of walking.
It has been recommended that I look into a heavier boot...I've got river boots...but they seem to be too heavy and stiff for coral.
Any suggestions?

Simms is currently about the only brand making a flats sneaker- I have heard the same thing about the more aggressive coral that makes up some locations. If the coral on Roatan is indeed as bad as you say, I would shy away from a from a "bootie" type shoe, and look at the simms flats sneakers or another hard soled saltwater boot.

almoore

I'd look at the Simms Intruder. I got mine at the Fish Hawk for a trip to Grand Bahama pre-hurricane. We did a lot of walking on the flats and on the beach getting to flats. My feet held up while some with other boots had serious blister problems.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I've got the standard neoprene flats boots, but I hear that the coral in Roatan is significant.
We'll be stalking bones and Permit mostly,...lots of walking.
It has been recommended that I look into a heavier boot...I've got river boots...but they seem to be too heavy and stiff for coral.
Any suggestions?
I know this is an old thread, however, I am interested in how you did. Roatan and the islands out from there is on my radar for a trip. With Delta flying to Roatan it is a possibility. Are there as many permit there as I have heard?

RipperIII

I know this is an old thread, however, I am interested in how you did. Roatan and the islands out from there is on my radar for a trip. With Delta flying to Roatan it is a possibility. Are there as many permit there as I have heard?

Yes...I threw to 4 permit one day, 2 another day...all tailing, saw several more.
Very challenging fishing, even the bones required accurate presentations and subtle strip sets.
I would go back. but I believe we'll try a few of the other Islands next year.
Delta canceled their direct flight so we had to fly American.

Simms flats sneakers are perfect for that environment...coral is much more predominant but easily managed with the sneakers.

We did not encounter many fishermen...primarily divers and wind surfers...the bones are FAT and powerful, lots of play once hooked. Tarpon are also a possibility back in the creeks.

I might clarify...we were flyfishing...using local fly patterns, predominantly green shrimp and crabs with clear, or white back up patterns.

90% of the fish that I threw to were tailing...lots of walking.

Last edited:

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Yes...I threw to 4 permit one day, 2 another day...all tailing, saw several more.
Very challenging fishing, even the bones required accurate presentations and subtle strip sets.
I would go back. but I believe we'll try a few of the other Islands next year.
Delta canceled their direct flight so we had to fly American.

Simms flats sneakers are perfect for that environment...coral is much more predominant but easily managed with the sneakers.

We did not encounter many fishermen...primarily divers and wind surfers...the bones are FAT and powerful, lots of play once hooked. Tarpon are also a possibility back in the creeks.
Have you tried Belize yet? I just got back and loved it so much I am heading back down the first week of July. Did you use a guide any or was all your fishing DIY?