Rock creek area.

Tadpole23

Morning guy. I'm heading up around the Rock creek area for a couple days this coming week. I've never fished for trout with a fly rod before but I've been know to bass fish with one. I got a few flies to try but do I need to use a small lead to hold the fly down or just let it stay on top of the water this time of year? Im not expecting to go wear them out but would like to catch a few on the fly rod.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Both methods work. I would nymph the bigger water and fish dry flies on the smaller streams.

Tadpole23

Thanks for the information im going to try to find somewhere up there to buy some more flies and nymphs. There isnt anywhere down here to buy fly fishing tackle.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Thanks for the information im going to try to find somewhere up there to buy some more flies and nymphs. There isnt anywhere down here to buy fly fishing tackle.

There's a flyshop in Blue Ridge about an hour from Rock Creek.

Tadpole23

Looks like there is one in Dahlonega called Tritts. Maybe they will have some trout flies

Wifeshusband

Which Rock Creek, there are several? The one with the trout hatchery? Fished it several times, gets narrow in many places, (impossible to make normal casts) and actually caught a few Brookies of a feeder stream. A friend of mine caught a ten lb Brown up near the hatchery. Anyone on this forum fished the Rock Creek near Chatsworth?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ok guys I had a real good trip trout fishing. I didnt catch a single trout on a dry fly but fish was biting a black or green zebra midge.
Man, that's a hoss!

Tadpole23

Thats my biggest from georgia but I've only trout fished a couple times.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thats my biggest from georgia but I've only trout fished a couple times.
I've been trout fishing for nearly fifty years, year-round, with thousands and thousands of days on the water. I've only caught a couple rainbows that big in my whole life that weren't brooders dumped out of a hatchery truck, or lake-run spawners. That is a big bow.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Wow. That’s a sure nuff nice one. Congratulations

Tadpole23

I'm planning a trip for next month. Maybe I can find a few more

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Whoa what a fish.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Ok guys I had a real good trip trout fishing. I didnt catch a single trout on a dry fly but fish was biting a black or green zebra midge.
Good catch, man! Sounds like a fun trip.

Wifeshusband

Thanks, but could you be a little more precise "where on Rock Creek" you caught the photographic display? Just kiddin', man. Never show a man your "hole card."