Rock formations

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One of my hunting leases is in a “rocky location “ in Putnam County. There is probably 3-4 acres of rock all together on the tract. This image is of one of the most unique ones.
Note the opening. I wonder if earlier humans ever got in there to get out of the rain. C92B45E8-85E1-46BF-8A53-B033ED6B8B5E.jpeg3DFFDA65-60D6-40C7-997D-0CA7174A0DEE.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's cool. Looks like a good place to lay in wait for a deer, too.

There's a rock formation in one place I hunt in SC that is shaped just like a chair with a footrest, with another rock in front at the perfect height for concealment and a rifle rest. It's on a good spot overlooking a big hollow and a crrek bottom, too. We've killed several out of the rockpile stand.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've killed a few deer over the years, while sitting on a rock precipice looking down a holler. The only problem is, rocks are a perfect heat sink and will freeze you to death sitting on one for long.

specialk

had one on a lease in butts co back in the 70's.....huge rock...had steps carved out that a hunting boot barely fit in and several rounded out bowl like seats on the top....we used it as a deer stand.....we figured the indians use to sit and pass the peace pipe around....

specialk

i actually got a few at my house about that size..

Hillbilly stalker

Them big rocks also hold heat and wake up the snakes a little early. I was snuggled up in front of a big rock like that one day deer hunting and heard a strange grinding sound. Looked to my right and a deadly South Eastern Mamba ( black snake ) was crawling straight down toward my shoulder about a foot away. After I checked to see if I had '68 Camaro racing stripes in my drawers....I let him have that rock:rofl:.
You see I was on the middle of where they make rattle snakes. That's a neat formation.(y)

Artfuldodger

Didn't we talk about rock formations in Putnam County before related to Native Americans? I know there is Rock Eagle and another bird effigy but seems like people were finding other things around the lake and county.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Didn't we talk about rock formations in Putnam County before related to Native Americans? I know there is Rock Eagle and another bird effigy but seems like people were finding other things around the lake and county.

I don’t remember the thread. I will search for it.

Cool Hand Luke

Wish I had a pic of the formation on my lease in NE GA. Must have a wet weather spring or creek. Water don't always flow but when it does, a beautiful waterfall shows up.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Lots of good info in that book. I have lived in Putnam county my whole life. Several mounds buried under Lake Oconee. A lot of those big rocks were covered up by the lake. I killed many a deer off those rocks Pre 1980. Walk the hiking trail that carries you by the granite outcropping. Fascinating micro natural area that has plant’s from the northern reaches of North America.

Artfuldodger

Lots of good info in that book. I have lived in Putnam county my whole life. Several mounds buried under Lake Oconee. A lot of those big rocks were covered up by the lake. I killed many a deer off those rocks Pre 1980. Walk the hiking trail that carries you by the granite outcropping. Fascinating micro natural area that has plant’s from the northern reaches of North America.
Did you get to hunt the area before they flooded lake Oconee? Weird but when we traveled Hwy 44 there was hardly any buildings in that area. Maybe early 90's and when they built a Choo Choo Building Supply, I wondered why did they build that way out here, lol.

Artfuldodger

I found it I think.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/rock-effigy-formations-in-putnam-co-ga.890182/

@trad bow mentioned a book in post 15 that I found on EBay and ordered just now.
Yeah that was it, seems like there may have been another thread with just rocks and not effigies. Not sure, I read a lot of stuff on other forums back when we talked about this before.
Lots of hunters finding rocks, etc. in Putnam and the surrounding counties. I worked with a guy who lived near the Oconee River somewhere between Dublin and Glenwood. He said there are some mounds and even the remains of a rock village in that area.

I hope you enjoy the book.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Did you get to hunt the area before they flooded lake Oconee? Weird but when we traveled Hwy 44 there was hardly any buildings in that area. Maybe early 90's and when they built a Choo Choo Building Supply, I wondered why did they build that way out here, lol.
Yes I hunted all over the river before the lake or before they even started to clear the lake bottom. Fished that stretch of river since I was a kid. Born in 1957 in Putnam so I seen a total transformation of that side of the county. That’s why I live on west side of Eatonton.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Yeah that was it, seems like there may have been another thread with just rocks and not effigies. Not sure, I read a lot of stuff on other forums back when we talked about this before.
Lots of hunters finding rocks, etc. in Putnam and the surrounding counties. I worked with a guy who lived near the Oconee River somewhere between Dublin and Glenwood. He said there are some mounds and even the remains of a rock village in that area.

I hope you enjoy the book.

Over half of my collection I found on our homeplace a couple of hundred yards from the Oconee, in Wheeler County. Spanning from Paleo all the way through Mississippian. Clark`s Bluff area.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Was the author of that book Katherine Walters?