Rock formations

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Was the author of that book Katherine Walters?
Yes. She spoke a lot in my history classes in high school. She always had my upmost attention. She wrote the book way after I graduated.

trad bow

There is history all around us. Turn off the media devices and hit the road. I’m fortunate in that a lot of my county is National Forest so I can walk miles of country looking for these hidden gems of our past. Just remember that anywhere you go someone has been there before.

Bigga Trust

I have several rock cairns(25 plus) on my place which is between ROCK EAGLE and Rock Hawk. One set is one side of hill facing west and the other set is on side of hill facing east. Both are located near spring. I pretty much leave them alone. My daughter wanted to mark them and see if they have pattern

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have several rock cairns(25 plus) on my place which is between ROCK EAGLE and Rock Hawk. One set is one side of hill facing west and the other set is on side of hill facing east. Both are located near spring. I pretty much leave them alone. My daughter wanted to mark them and see if they have pattern

Got any pictures?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Lots of good info in that book. I have lived in Putnam county my whole life. Several mounds buried under Lake Oconee. A lot of those big rocks were covered up by the lake. I killed many a deer off those rocks Pre 1980. Walk the hiking trail that carries you by the granite outcropping. Fascinating micro natural area that has plant’s from the northern reaches of North America.

I got my copy of “Oconee River Tales to Tell” today. I read through about 40 pages before I put it down. Thanks for sharing about it.

Bigga Trust

they are just in this one area. Neighbors say they don’t have them. Personally, I think they are spring markers to show where fresh water spring starts. But probably wrong.

sleepr71

I’ve heard multiple times that all of these big granite rocks/outcroppings are part of Stone Mountain..and it extends way down into middle GA..like to Macon. Anybody else heard that?

bilgerat

Senior
I’ve heard multiple times that all of these big granite rocks/outcroppings are part of Stone Mountain..and it extends stone mtns granite deposit only goes about 9 miles from the mtn, most is under Gwinnett county.

trad bow

I’ve heard multiple times that all of these big granite rocks/outcroppings are part of Stone Mountain..and it extends way down into middle GA..like to Macon. Anybody else heard that?
Yes. A large out cropping at Lake Oconee by the Lawrence Shoals park.