Rocking the Flatheads in Lanier Creek Backs 23 May Report

LittleDrummerBoy

Rocking the Flatheads in Lanier Creek Backs 23 May Report

I was not expecting the bait to go back up into the creeks and the big flatheads to follow them. But in my pre-fishing two days ago, the deep, clear water was a wasteland (30-100 ft) in the Balus and Flat Creek areas, but the creekbacks were holding plenty of bait and fish. After prayer, I decided to hit the creekbacks again with jugs, cut shad, and live bluebacks.

First thing in the morning, we ran the creek from 15 feet channel depth back to 5 feet and found most of the bait holding close to 10 ft. The rain last night made it muddier than usual, which I've had great success with. Total meat haul was 55 lbs, with the big guy weighing in at 24 lbs. My guest and I were both pleased.

Edited to add: Water temp was 69 deg F in the early morning and warmed up to 72 deg F when we wrapped up around noon.

Flathead Boat Shot Scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Ooooooo Yeeeeeeeeah..

That's knocking out some yeller' meat for sure !!!!! One of my freshwater favorites !!!!????

Worley

Great catch and some fine table fair...

Big7

The Oracle
I bet that fish was loaded with eggs. It's about to pop.
Even more good eating. Two ways I know (probably many more I don't know) but if the sacks are full but not packed out- I'll poke them in a few places with a toothpick so they won't blow up then just flour or fish fry mix and cook them with the fish. Another good way is to cut off one end and squeeze out the roe in a small non stick skillet. More or less poach in warm butter or margarine and a drop of water or fish stock. Serve on toast points with sour cream, dash of salt, dash of black pepper.... So very tasty either way !!!

Papa Bear

After seeing your post you got me wanting to catch a kitty kat!

I have caught several while bass or crappie fishing brush piles especially when using minnows or spottails over the past year.

Always enjoy reading your post.