Rocky Mtn. Ducks and Geese

Duck's and Buck's

Have any of you guys ever been to the "Rocky Mtn. Project" in north Floyd County? I went over there the other day and looked around and it looked pretty good. I did not see anyone hunting so I assumed it must not be exactly "happening" or anything but I thought someone might have had some first hand experience over there to give me some advice from. Well I appreciate all and any info. that you might have. Tks, John

fredw

Retired Moderator
John, I've hunted there on three occassions. All were during the quota hunts on Antioch Lake (couple of times on the west side of the lake and once on the east side). The first year we saw tons of coots and even a few ducks (all out of range). The second time just a few ducks (again all out of range). Last year I hunted there and saw a grand total of two ducks(way out of range).

The DNR guys tell me that geese use the lakes but I didn't see any there.

Understand they have some pretty good fishing though.

Good luck if you go. Maybe we just hit the lake at the wrong time.

Duck's and Buck's

tks

Well that is what I was afraid of but when you live in Rome a couple of ducks isn't so bad most of the time. Thanks for your help. John

JDAWG

Be sure and dbl check the regs--Antioch or Heath one is only open at certain times. The other is the full season.

Duck's and Buck's

rky mtn.

Heath Lake is open all season from what I'm told. Antioch is only open for a few times a yr. Tks fr all your help though I'll let you know if anything is going on if I get to go.

Minner

I used to hunt it a good bit, but haven't been much the last year or two. The first year I hunted it, we saw tons of ducks. For some reason, we never saw nearly as many after that first season. We've killed widgeon, geese, and woodies there. Missed a bunch more (I never was much a wing-shooter).

The best advise I can give is to not "sky-bust". Several times we've had ducks circle to check out our decoys and some yahoo decides to shoot at 'em when they're WAY out of range and just run 'em off. We've had good luck with what ducks we see working in to our decoys when no one else shoots at 'em first.

Also, avoid the island in the middle of the back part of Heath Lake. It looks like a great spot to set up, but the ducks and geese will spot you on it every time. We've tried to set up on it several times and no matter how good we camo ourselves and the boat, the birds always flared before they got anywhere near us.

csgreen1

They drained the lakes down and planted food for the ducks a few weeks ago maybe that will help you duck hunters out some.

csgreen1

I live in summerville,the guy that runs the store at rocky told me about the duck food being planted go by and talk to him he seems to know whats going on over there with the fishing and hunting.