Rookie trapper incoming

sprewett

Ok sprewett! You should have some traps ready to go now. Let's hear the latest report!!!!!
Unfortunately not! It will be March 1st when I send in for my license. Kinda tight around the house on $ so I have to make every cent count. While in wait I haven't wasted my time though I have used the opportunity to learn as much as I can from you guys in the forum. Also as you can tell I have been chasing them hogs over high and low space in Bartow county. Saw about 30 yesterday. Thanks for checking in on me and trust me I will definitely post up some pictures even if it's a big goose egg when I start setting traps.

sprewett

Also @Doug B. Do you use a fleshing board? I had thought about tacking the hides to a piece of plywood and fleshing them to save some money.

Doug B.

Unfortunately not! It will be March 1st when I send in for my license. Kinda tight around the house on $ so I have to make every cent count. While in wait I haven't wasted my time though I have used the opportunity to learn as much as I can from you guys in the forum. Also as you can tell I have been chasing them hogs over high and low space in Bartow county. Saw about 30 yesterday. Thanks for checking in on me and trust me I will definitely post up some pictures even if it's a big goose egg when I start setting traps.
Good to hear! I definitely understand money being tight especially with gas prices where they are and eggs over $5.00 a dozen and everything else sky high. That is a good plan to wait and buy one license instead of two back to back. You will still be able to catch coons easy enough. Coyotes get harder to catch the later it gets. After you buy your license you will be able to trap all next fall and winter.

Last edited:

Doug B.

Also @Doug B. Do you use a fleshing board? I had thought about tacking the hides to a piece of plywood and fleshing them to save some money.
I made my fleshing beam a few years ago out of a piece of log siding that I had after a job I was doing. You can make a fleshing beam out of scrap lumber or even a piece of log. There are some good videos on YouTube that will help you make one. You can also make stretchers to dry them on after you have them fleshed. Again, youtube will help you with that.

What I flesh and stretch now is just some that I want to play around with since it is not worth your time to put them up to sell. If you are going to keep some then I would still recommend a quality fleshing knife. A cheap knife will make you want to throw it as far as you can instead of fleshing hides with it!

Latest posts