Rubbing post

jammeri5

I’ve heard creosote post or carpet soaked in motor oil nailed to a post will attract hogs. Guess they rub it to help with ticks? Anyone used this idea? How’d it work?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve heard creosote post or carpet soaked in motor oil nailed to a post will attract hogs. Guess they rub it to help with ticks? Anyone used this idea? How’d it work?
We tried it last year. Haven't had a hog come within a hundred yards of it.

baddave

We tried it last year. Haven't had a hog come within a hundred yards of it.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:i think there's more myths in hog hunting than anything..BTW---raccoons and squirrels are ok w/ diesel fuel in corn and deer and turkeys DO eat soured corn

Doug B.

I've seen where they rub on creosote telephone poles. Most of the time there would be a wallow at the base of the pole. Bear will mark them too. I can show you a stretch of road that almost all the telephone poles have been marked by bears.

BowArrow

Been doing this for years. In fact, I am doing it now in the Ogeechee River swamp. I use old motor oil and pour some on old rag and tack to a small tree. I also put around wallows. I notice hogs like to rub on the oil too keep bugs off. I started bowhunting Fort Stewart in the 60's and when I ran across a five gallon can discarded by the military, there would be a hog wallow at the end of the can where oil was draining out. Hogs are smart.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve seen burnt motor oil work many times

RootConservative

Man I have pictures but not sure which hard drive they are on. Back before I started putting hog panels around all my feeders we got some railroad ties and dug holes with augers and placed them vertically in the ground. They are still there but haven't set up cameras on them in close to a decade. I'll look tonight if I can find pictures of hogs using them as community rubbing posts. They did work. We also poured motor oil on them like re-baiting a trap to freshen up activity.