Ruger 270

HeadHunter

I bought a new Ruger M77 Mark II All-Weather 270 win with a leupold VX I 3x9-40mm scope the other day at bass pro. I went ahead and bought a box of the remington core-lokt 150g 270 win bullets. Does anyone know if these are good bullets for this type of gun or are there any specific ones that might be better that I need to look into? Please let me know and I appreaciate it.

HeadHunter

QuakerBoy

I think the brand of bullet you chose is an excellent one for deer. I have shot them for years in the 130 gr bullet.

I personally think the 150 gr is a little heavier than you need for deer

teethdoc

Every deer I have killed with my rifle has been with .270 Remington Core-Lokt. I shoot the 130 gr but can't see the 150gr performing much differently.

TurkeyCreek

i concur with the others. i have shot core-lokts for years with success, first in a 30-06 then 270 . i also shot the 130 grains in 270 win.
if you have it sighted-in with the 150's i would go ahead and use those.

Jeff Phillips

The 150 will not expand nearly as well as the 130. The 150 is built for larger/tougher game than whitetails. It will kill them, but if you do not hit bone you could be in for a tracking job.

My brother shoots 150's in his 270 and it leaves a small exit wound. But for some reason his gun will not group well with the 130's ::huh:

I would sight it in again using 130's when you have the chance.

HeadHunter

Nope....

I havent shot it at all but I went ahead and bought 2 boxes of the 150g core-lokts. Maybe I can take them back to bass pro and exchange them for 130gs?

Jeff Phillips

HeadHunter said:
I havent shot it at all but I went ahead and bought 2 boxes of the 150g core-lokts. Maybe I can take them back to bass pro and exchange them for 130gs?

If they won't just aim for high on the shoulder. That ought to get those 150's to open up and a deer ain't going far without it's front wheels :shoot:

SGaither

Just a thought

If those core-lokt don't fly good out of your rifle try buying some ammo from Georgia Arms. I shoot the 130 gr. ballistic tips and man they are awesome. 1/4" groups at 100 yards, 5 shot groups of course and off a bench. I have heard they are loading some .270's in the new 140 grain accubond bullet from nosler and I'm dying to try those but this close to season is a little late for me to be experimenting. I believe you can see what they offer at www.georgiaarms.com or something like that.

sgaither

duke13

I've got the same gun. When I bought it 2 years ago i tried 150 coreloks and a bunch of other rounds. It seemed the 130 grain round grouped better by far. The best grouping I found then was the 130grain Nosler ballistic tip but I didn't like the way it performed on deer. I shot 6 deer that season with them and had to look for them all even though they did tremendous damage to the animal. Last year i switched to 130gr. Barnes X bullets. Expensive but they group well and the one deer i shot went right down.

check out www.midsouthshooters.com

stumpman

Banned
You need to shoot them and see if your gun likes them some guns shoot different bullets and not others try winchester supreme 140 gr failsafe and hornady sst and fed premium all are good bullets and which ever shoots the best group is what i would use Good luck.