Ruger American/ Norma ammo ??

ngamtns

Having issue (twice now) with chambering a round, then when extract with bolt, the bullet remains stuck with loose powder. Have to take a cleaning rod and knock the bullet loose. It’s a Ruger American 308, shooting Norma 150 grain soft point. Is it the gun, the cheap plastic magazine or the ammo?

Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Thanks

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Having issue (twice now) with chambering a round, then when extract with bolt, the bullet remains stuck with loose powder. Have to take a cleaning rod and knock the bullet loose. It’s a Ruger American 308, shooting Norma 150 grain soft point. Is it the gun, the cheap plastic magazine or the ammo?

Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Thanks
Hummm.

menhadenman

I’ve got a case of that Norma 150s for my 308 (Tikka CTR). Cycles great and shoots like a laser.

I’d check the overall length on the ammo should be 2.800”. Sounds like it’s long and getting stuck in the lands. Maybe you got a box that’s out of spec? I’d measure and check, surely Norma would replace if that’s the case.

ngamtns

Thanks for the info. I am happy with ammo and the rifle other than the one issue. But that definitely is an issue. I will get the ammo measured.

The chamber is clean. I am OCD cleaning guns.
Thanks

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

bighonkinjeep

Sounds like a short throat to me. If the bullet is jamming in the lands with ammo that meets saami specs then the fix for that is going to be a reamer or return to Ruger. Its ahead of the chamber in the throat which is the transition from the chamber to the rifling so chamber cleaning/polishing wont fix the issue unless youre so aggressive that you remove some of the rifling. Id reccomend you leave that to an expert.

PS bullets jamming into the rifling can also lead to higher pressure upon ignition.

Last edited:

aabradley82

just Had this happen with the wife’s American in 6.5. The chambers must be pretty tight on them or something. Cleaned it expecting to find debris but didn’t. Rifle works now so dunno

ngamtns

I cleaned the chamber and the throat with the wire brush/drill method. Hasn’t had the problem since
I kept the two bullets and neither have any gouge marks. Just faint scuff marks.