Ruger American

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Hey Folks,

I recently picked up a new Ruger American rifle that has the trigger similar to Savage with the centerpiece that functions like a first stage of a 2-stage trigger. When pulling back the centerpiece, it seems to slightly bind and scrape against the main trigger. It doesn't really affect the function, it's just not a very smooth trigger pull experience. I have a Savage Model 10 with the Accutrigger, so I'm familiar with this trigger type. The centerpiece just seems sloppier on the Ruger than the Savage. Is this common with these rifles, or is this an issue I need to take up with Ruger? Thanks!

280 Man

Banned
Is this rifle brand new? As you know that trigger is not a two-stage trigger. Just mimics one. Have you tried adjusting the trigger to a lower pull to see if that will help? I have read where these triggers get a little better after a little wear.

I have a 7-08 that has a decent trigger but Im thinking about replacing the trigger spring to see if it gets better. If that doesn't help Im gonna put a Timney in it.

wvdawg

Staff member
I've used one for a couple seasons now. Mine seems to be okay - have not experienced what you are describing.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Is this rifle brand new? As you know that trigger is not a two-stage trigger. Just mimics one. Have you tried adjusting the trigger to a lower pull to see if that will help? I have read where these triggers get a little better after a little wear.

I have a 7-08 that has a decent trigger but Im thinking about replacing the trigger spring to see if it gets better. If that doesn't help Im gonna put a Timney in it.

It is new, maybe it will smooth out after some use. It's not the trigger pull weight, it the centerpiece rubbing against the trigger. It functions like it should if pull perfectly straight back, but if your finger is angled at all it wants to bind.

AceOfTheBase

Yah, call Ruger.
I have 3 Ruger rifles with that trigger and the center safety piece moves back straight.
Granted, not as good as my Savage 10, but darn close.

Stroker

Never had a trigger issue with my American, but I just didn't like the feel of the centerpiece so I replaced it with a Timney trigger assembly, whole process took maybe 10 minutes, and with the improved trigger pull came improved accuracy.