Ruger LCRx .38 SP,or 357 Mag..

sleepr71

3” with adjustable sights. Anybody on here shot one,or have one? If you do..what’s your thoughts on it?

ChidJ

This may or may not be helpful but I've shot the LCR and LCRx in 357. Both are pretty snappy but thats what you get with a lightweight 357. Triggers are nice enough for being Rugers and a little less expensive than J frames. I only recall using the double action so any commentary on the trigger is from that perspective. I think the trigger in the stock LCRx is better than a stock 640 and its lighter and black is more tactical. on the 2 inch version, the sights are not great but the 3 inch version you get proper adjustable sights so I'm sure that's a better arrangement.

Bottom line, for the money, I think its hard to beat for a utility carry revolver as a value option. I'd still take my S&W 360SC over it but they don't make those anymore so I'd say the LCRx is the next best thing

sleepr71

Thanks! That’s the kind of info I’m looking for. I’m leaning more towards the 357… Just so I can shoot whatever random ammo comes along in 38, 38SP, 357. I know they use a different frame material for the 357… I think they had to go back to stainless to get the strength to handle the 357 mag. The 38SP version, from memory is a lighter weight aluminum alloy. I have not laid hands on any version of it yet… I’m just looking for something light weight,that I can carry while out working on the tractors, cleaning up, that is a “utility “gun that I won’t mind beating up a little. I’d hate to sacrifice A nice S&W?

Dub

Sounds like a perfect application for it @sleepr71

I like your plan on getting the .357 version for allowing wider ammo choices.

The only small lightweight revolver I’ve owned is a 442. It carries easy but those trench sights & heavy trigger are issues to contend with. Sounds like that Ruger has better options there.

transfixer

I've only shot the LCR, and the double action pull is very smooth, but having shot it with full house .357 loads I can tell you its something I wouldn't want to do very much, its a handfull, .38plus loads are more than adequate, I've considered buying one myself a time or two, and while I might buy a .357 version if the price was right, I doubt I would ever shoot full house loads in it.

Dub

So far...Hard to find in .357....

That's how it is when you are actively on the hunt for something.....it's like some type of aggravating twist.....You'll stumble all over 'em until you decide to buy one....then they ghost on 'ya.

bullgator

I’m in the market for a 3” LCRX myself. I intend on it being my UTV gun that will ride in the seat cover pocket in the front of the drivers seat. I had a Smith 69 there but the weight started to stress the stitching. I was leaning towards the .38 with plans of running +P ammo. I didn’t see the benefits of the blast and recoil from such a light weight gun with .357. For 95% of my foreseeable uses, .38+P should work for me. If I were getting it for fun or CC I’d probably lean .357.
What’s your intended use.

sleepr71

I held one in .38SP yesterday. It was crazy how light it was. Almost like a toy gun?. I just want 357 Mag because that’s what I have the most of. I don’t have much regular 38/38 Sp ammo & now isn’t the time to find it . I honestly think the extra 5-6 oz in the 357 version would be welcomed from a recoil standpoint,and allow firing of any 38/38SP/357 mag ammo.

bullgator

Actually I’ll probably buy the first one I can find at a decent price

sleepr71

The one I saw yesterday was $569.00 for the .38SP(+P) version. I doubt gun shops are willing to “negotiate” at all during this feeding frenzy. I didn’t ask,as I wanted the .357 version. I did like how light it was though..? Wouldn’t even notice it when out working...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The LCRs are very cool.

I gave Mz. RR the choice of one or a Smith 442 for daily carry. She tried both, and chose the LCR because it was lighter, and for her the trigger was better.

I have not seen the LCR since, it lives forever in her carry purse... ?

Reactions: Dub

Dub

The LCRs are very cool.

I gave Mz. RR the choice of one or a Smith 442 for daily carry. She tried both, and chose the LCR because it was lighter, and for her the trigger was better.

I have not seen the LCR since, it lives forever in her carry purse... ?

My wife wasn't a fan of my 442 and the similar Airweight J-frame we tried for her....the trigger pull was a lot to overcome.

We wound up going in a different direction, too.

It always amazes me at how a trigger can make a handgun or rifle......or re-make the gun (in the case of the awesome aftermarket triggers (Geissele, Timney, TriggerTech, JohnnyGlock, etc).

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
As long as she can get to it...through all the carp women carry..??

She actually has a couple of purses designed for carrying.

They have end-access compartments, and a holster that very securely velcros into whatever position you want the gun. Nothing else goes into the compartment, no moving, rattling, or clanking.

She's got it rigged to where she can easily come out with the gun, instead of her wallet...Or just shoot thru the other end of the compartment.

She is not gonna carry on-body, so the carry purses are a viable alternative. She likes them enough that she is ALWAYS armed.

She shoots pretty good too.

Balrog

I own an LCR in 38 special, and have owned several Smith and Wesson J frames over the years.

When comparing the two, I actually find the LCR trigger easier to shoot accurately double action compared to a Smith and Wesson J frame.

The Smith and Wessons are prettier than the LCR.

Shooting 357 magnum will not be very fun out of either. My LCR is a 38, but I bought it because it was what the gun shop had in stock at the time. I would rather have it in 357, just for more ammo choices, but probably would never want to shoot 357 out of it unless that was all I had.

SC Hunter

She actually has a couple of purses designed for carrying.

They have end-access compartments, and a holster that very securely velcros into whatever position you want the gun. Nothing else goes into the compartment, no moving, rattling, or clanking.

She's got it rigged to where she can easily come out with the gun, instead of her wallet...Or just shoot thru the other end of the compartment.

She is not gonna carry on-body, so the carry purses are a viable alternative. She likes them enough that she is ALWAYS armed.

She shoots pretty good too.
My wife has 2 purses just like that. She has a shield ez in there right now but wants something lighter so it's back to pistol counter for a small revolver. She handles recoil fine and will do good with a revolver I feel like.