Rut Roh SEC: OU & Horns Crashin the Party

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Everybody likes to run down the SEC but then they want to join it.

In my best Nancy Reagan voice - "Just say no."

FootLongDawg

1)
the expansion was expected to go to 16 eventually.
2)
The request has been discussed since last season. Birmingham already knows or pretty much knows how each school will vote; unless someone changes their minds ( I’m looking at Athens and LSU)
3)
The expansion committee is only thinking about how many TV sets change the channels and how many eyeballs move to another SEC game. Yes they want some regional, cultural and academic similarities but this is about that reserve fund. Just palm a few more dollars this way ya know.
I fear they may not have any honor of the traditional rivalries. ie: Barn/UGA Bama/vawls.
4) The big question:
If AM & Mizzou decide to pout and take their ball and go home to the B12, B10 et al- ( Which would be stupid)
Who would the SEC reach out to ? Or would they?

A&M, Mizzu and probably Arkansas may have the red butt right now, but the extra money ESPN will have to pay the SEC (ESPN takes over the prime Saturday games from CBS in a few years) will ease their pain. They aren't going anywhere.

MCBUCK

Still gotta have 11 votes .Who knows what will happen. But they will bring it for a vote .
I bet they’re surprised at the fan dissent. A lot of fans don’t like this type expansion; many prefer a FSU & Clemson type, or even Va Tech & WVU.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Well it’s Texas. It’s a great place but the problem is it’s full of Texans.

can’t sling a dead cat without hitting one of the dangled things. It’s like a breeding ground for them.

I have been to several games in Austin and several other bug 12 schools and the atmosphere is not close to an SEC game. It’s very quiet and the crowds are very subdued in comparison. Austin is great though…..there is a fantastic beer garden almost adjacent to the stadium which is actually not overcrowded on game day……it’d be a fun road trip for most SEC teams and the big 6 would enjoy a road win more often than not so that’d be fun.

Never been to Norman but I have been to the Red River Shootout twice and was at the 2018 Rose Bowl. I’ve also seen OSU in Lubbock once. Very similar to Texas, Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech….very subdued crowd compared to SEC games. The red River shootout ain’t close to the iron bowl or the cocktail party……for all the blather about football in the big 12 and in Texas especially it just ain’t that big a deal, compared to what it is in the SEC…..they won’t fit in any better than Mizoo or TAM and won’t fare any better except for the rare season.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Per Fox 5 this morning it's a done deal. We've been hoo doo'ed.

MCBUCK

Texas posters on twitter acting like they're gonna come in and dominate.

Madsnooker

Well it's a done deal it appears.
Never thought I see the day those 2 schools would be in the sec.

Wonder what Kevin Warren is doing this morning? Probably still consumed with how to handle covid in this upcoming season.:rolleyes:

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm: They can't dominate OU and they get stomped every time they step on the field with us (SEC).

MCBUCK

Dawgs lost to em in18’
28-21

GTMODawg

BANNED

Such is the nature of the Longhorn faithful. There ain't a more delusional fan base in all of college football than Texas. This stems from the fact that most Longhorn fans are some how connected to Texas and there is not a more delusional race of people on the planet than Texans. Seriously. Almost the entirety of the state came from somewhere else because they either could not cut it back east or they had fouled their nest so badly out west the situation was no longer tenable. If they are more than 2 generation of Texan they come from the poorest, ill prepared people ever to set foot in the United States to earn their succor. If it weren't for oil people in Mississippi and South Carolina would look down their noses at Texas and Texans would understand why and accept the fact that the only good thing about Texas is it ain't New Mexico.

This is why everything has to be bigger in Texas...in the minds of Texans...because the entire population of the state suffers from a staggering inferiority complex. I have seen grown men in Texas come to blows over things that any decent human being would never even think to be offended by....but like all people who are fronting Texans must pretend to be above being offended while any and everything that happens can be seen as an affront to their manliness....because they are completely unable to conduct themselves as men and get their feelings hurt at the drop of a hat. The women are just as bad. The entirety of the state goes about like aa 12 year old school yard bully, terrified that their true nature will be discovered and covering for their own self doubt by bullying and threatening and mostly making decent folks feel sorry for them.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Dawgs lost to em in18’
28-21

And in typical Texas fashion behaved as if they had beaten the Superbowl champions when in fact they barely beat a bunch of entitled dawgs who felt they belonged in the playoff after soiling the linens in the SECCG and acted like a bunch of petulant children. Texas meanwhile was in the biggest game they had been in in years and still managed to barely beat the Dawgs.

Oklahoma may prove problematic for the SEC from time to time....if they ever discover what the word is for when you do not have possession of the ball....Texas is not as good at a program level as TAM and TAM is about on par with UK and Missouri.....Oklahoma may actually compete for the SEC title every 8-10 years or so....Texas wont as long as their alumni has control over the program as they have for most of recent history. They are a lot like Auburn in this respect....a few alumni hold too much sway over the program and the program suffers greatly from it....Auburn has managed to overcome this occasionally, Texas has not.....

MCBUCK

To a point you are correct GitMO....but I would put AM more along the lines of an Auburn of old or a UGA ....a 10-2 type team. But Oklahoma will pose some problems.

MCBUCK

So...now the word is tu and Oklahoma are trying to get in by 2022?!?!! 2023 at the latest!!

bullgator

Well it's a done deal it appears.
Never thought I see the day those 2 schools would be in the sec.

Wonder what Kevin Warren is doing this morning? Probably still consumed with how to handle covid in this upcoming season.:rolleyes:
Even Kevin Warren’s son plays football in the SEC.....:rofl:

nickel back

So how they going to do this, move 2 west teams over to the est or give the east one and the west one.

GTMODawg

BANNED
So how they going to do this, move 2 west teams over to the est or give the east one and the west one.

It would make sense to move Alabama and Auburn to the east and put OU and Texas in the west but that won't happen probably. It would maintain the UGA/Auburn game, the UT/BAMA Game, the Iron Bowl and would allow TAM and UT to play their rivalry every year. Geographically it makes more sense than anything but Missouri is still ridiculous being in the SEC at all let alone the east.

Most likely they eliminate divisions and add at least 1 conference game to the schedule. That would most likely mean an end to traditional annual rivalry games like those mentioned above. Iron Bowl probably doesn't go away but all others are in jeopardy....cause god knows UGA needs to play Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and TAM as often or more so than we play Auburn, Florida, South Carolina or even Georgia Tech. That was written sarcastically LOL...

MCBUCK

Bama & Barn come to the east, Mizzou moves west. Play everyone in the division plus two crossovers for a nine game schedule.
OR
some kind of four team pod schedule that’s akin to a very confusing game of musical chairs that only mathematicians, rocket scientist and IT’s can make sense of.