Rutting Dates

Deerman

I just read on the internet the rut dates for GA, is mid November to mid December. I hunt in NE GA, Oglethorpe county , I was thinking mid October to mid Nov. What do u guys think. ::huh:

E

early riser

Hancock Cty (Sparta, Ga.)

Between the first and second week of November. I took my two largest bucks out of Hancock Cty on November 4th & 8th in 2002, and another buck last year on November 10th, as well as our sister club was slaughtering the bucks the same week last year, second week of November. The first two week of November things really heat up in Hancock Cty with bucks sparing and chasing does all over the place!

early riser

H

HT2

Larry......

It was about a week to 10 days earlier for us.......

I guess it's gonna vary just a bit ......

I'm hopin' ours stays consistent with last year........Last year for us, it was the last "2" weeks of October that the bucks really got "frisky"......We'll see how they cooperate this year..... :)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Cant help you in that part of GA, but in Heard County (far west GA) we have a split rut. East Heard is in mid-late Nov and West Heard is in late Nov-very early Dec.

Jim

Arrow Flinger

At the farm in Lexington, it ranges from the first of November to the end of November. Usually the second week is the strongest but I have seen it strong Thanksgiving weekend too.

E

early riser

HT2 (Hancock Cty)

Last year was a CRAZY year. I remember how HOT and DRY it was. It was terrible even on into November. I remember Mechanicaldawg and I were planning on spending th entire week or two, day to day hunting, but the weather was horrible. DRY, HOT, and miseryable to the point that I think MechDawg only stayed 2 days at camp and headed home. Nothing was moving, we wern't seeing anything! Then the second weekend of November we got a cold front which brought in a light rain and the bucks went CRAZY! Hunters all around were dropping bucks that weekend like killing flies with a swatter. They were running everywhere around us the second weekend of November just after that cold front and rain.

Before that, the weather was terribly HOT and DRY and nothing was moving. All it took was a little change in the weather and it all broke loose around us in Sparta, Ga. (Hancock Cty)

early riser

H

HT2

Larry.....

You are right.....

It seems that it don't take but just a little "COOL SNAP" to get 'em goin'.......

Who knows when it will happen.....

We just better be ready..... :clap:

Oglethorpe County....

The guy I hunt with in Oglethorpe County has been on the same tract for 30 years. In his opinion, the peak of the rut on our place is sometime around November 7 - 9 every year. It is also his opinion that on years with a bumper acorn crop that rutting activity will start much earlier, however the peak will stay about the same.

I never put much confidence in his opinion until I started hunting with him. For the past three years he has been dead on the money.

I don't know what part of Oglethorpe you are hunting, but it can vary. We are in the western part of the county, near Arnoldsville. Other tracts that I hunt in Clarke and Oconee have much later peak rutting times - closer to Thanksgiving. That's a two and a half week difference over 35 miles. ::huh:

Another good way to pin-point the rut in your area is to talk to the local processors. I can assure you they will know.

Good luck,

chilidawg

NW Ga

last year it hit my neck of the woods around the 2nd week in November and lasted 7-9 days. In the county next to mine it was a week later. How about down in Laurens county? I'll be there November 11-13.

Dean

rut

We experienced the same type of rutting and deer activity in SW GA. last year. I am convinced the rut happened during mid Nov, but the hunters sign (deer chasing) occured at night. My thoughts are that the peak rut is timed to the amount of day light hours, irregarless of weather, and really happens pretty close to the same time every year. The problem is weather. Hot and dry weather doesn't delay the rut/ or primarily the heavy chasing phase. I believe the bucks chase at night, say between 10pm and 4 am when it is the coolest, once the day begins and temp rise a little the bucks and does stay put. While I have no imperical proof I also think that alot of leases that have a heavy doe herd have a trickle rut in which there are too many does that come into estrous during that 36-48 cylce and the bucks can not service them all. So the does come back into estrous 28 days or so later. I beleive if your deer herd is balanced you will without question have a very noticible and defined rut /chasing period.

DKG

Rut Times

AgE's source is very likely correct. Usually the rut occurs in an area the same time each year. Many factors can come into play to make minor differences, but usually it will be about the same time each year. I too know an excellent deer hunter, probably the best woodsman and hunter I have ever seen, who has hunted deer along the Flint River in Taylor and Crawford county for 40 years. He states that he sees the rut every year at the same time. Some years there is more evidence than others but it still happens at the same time.
Also, many clubs have been working on their buck/doe ratios now for several years. There is scientific evidence that this can shift the rut a little, but not very much. One thing that could be seen after balancing this ratio is more intense ruts. Signs will be more evident and buck fights occur more often. :D

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
in our part of Oglethorpe county............

it always falls between the 5th and 20th of November..........without fail. :)

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
On our lease in Jasper Co it happens around the 2nd week in November.
How much effect the weather has concerning the rut I'm not sure. Any comments on this from other Woody's members as far as the weather and the rut?