RV Tires

Todd E

I am going to need to put tires on the 5er before I take it out. Dry rot issues. Do not want to haul it to tire store. We all know what shredded tires do to the exterior of campers. My guess is to jack it up and put stands(4) under each axle behind the leafsprings. Any other ideas? Any safer ideas? Any recommendations on where to get RV tires at a good price(Athens area)? I heard a rumor that someone got one(blowout) at the tire store in Comer. Anyone know the name of it?

Jeffriesw

I was lucky in that respect, The tire store where I bought my tires has a huge parking lot that makes it real easy to get into, A lot of them don't. I would guess 4 good Jack stands or some old RR ties under the axles would probably work. Safety, Safety, Safety.:fine:

This defintely is something every Rver needs to keep an eye on, I have 2 family members that have had blowouts on the road and both times it did more than $2000.00 worth of damge the the rig.:cry:
My brother in law had his go out on I-75 coming south out of Gainesville and when he stopped he examined the situation and also heard a hissing sound. When he looked the LP gas line that fed the water heater was on the outside of the frame rail and exposed right behind the tires. When the tire blew out it ruptured the gas line also.:eek:
Well needless to say he turned the gas off real quick and then got on his knees and thanked God it did not get a spark. ::;

When he told me about it I checked mine, Guess where my gas line is? I have considered building some kind of cover to go over it for protection.:cool:

What ticked him off was that his trailer was only 1 year old (2007), but when you looked at the tires they had a date code on them over 5 years old (2001). :banginghe

So when you buy tires make sure the date code is very recent.

georgia357

I think the tire store might be B & B Tire Service 1967 Main St, Comer, GA, 30629 706-783-3218. It's right across from the pizza store on Hwy 22, Lexington Hwy. They were open the last time I went by there, about two weeks.

Todd E

Yeup, GA357. Thanks!! Called them today and got four ordered. Now...to safely take all four off rv. With my luck, just as soon as I got half way to Comer towing....I'd blow two out(one ea side) and shred my camper like a sardine can.

Thanks s runner. Didn't even think about rr xties.

georgia357

Welcome, if you don't mind me asking, did you get a good price from them? I might need some for my camper soon. Got a 21' one. Thanks

Todd E

RV is a 28' fifth wheel. I purchased 225 75 R15 -->D Rated. When all is said and done....out the door at $115/ea. They weren't "in stock", but he said they would be there in 1 to 2 days.

georgia357

That's pretty good. Thanks

Robert Warnock

Thanks for some good info. I had a blow out on my travel trailer Sunday. Fortunately, I was able get it off the road with no further damage. Those tires are six years old and I was wondering what it would cost to go ahead and replace all of them.