S&W 28-2 Questions

Jester896

Senior Clown
Got an oddity I think.
A friend has a 28-2 which is a 4" Highway Patrolman in .357. His has a 6" barrel and is .45. The barrel is a factory S&W with .45 stamped on it. And the .45 chambers in the cylinder.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I might have it!
A model 1950 Target Model that later became a 26 (haven't magnified the #) but still don't get the -2. They were .45ACP w/ moon clips and some were converted to .45AR. There were 200 made between '53-'57 that were 45 (LC). When he got it the previous owner was shooting .45 (LC) in it. Odd gun!

Darkhorse

I had a Model 28 Highway Patrolman with a short barrel, 3 1/2" I think it was. This was a long time ago, around 1972 or so. It was a good, comfortable shooting gun. I cast 158 grain lead and 158 grain W/gas check that I loaded 357 mags. with. I put a lot of rounds downrange before someone talked me out of it.

chuckdog

I've seen a few chambered in .44 Special. It's been way too long ago for me to remember, but there was a gunsmith that did a number of them.

Darkhorse

At the time I was under the impression there were also some with a 2 3/4" barrel.

Jester896

Senior Clown
My 28-2 is the standard 4"" 357 weird but I have not seen any of these other odd balls. Sounds like a cool piece.

I am wondering if his doesn't say 26-2. He doesn't have as much magnification as I do. The barrel is stamped 45 Model 1950. Since the 45(LC) was so limited I wonder if those frame were marked 26-2

killerv

The model 1950 is an actual gun Smith made, sounds like a gunsmith installed the barrel on the 28 and bored out the cylinder or simply replaced it with a factory 45 cylinder

Jester896

Senior Clown
The model 1950 is an actual gun Smith made, sounds like a gunsmith installed the barrel on the 28 and bored out the cylinder or simply replaced it with a factory 45 cylinder
Correct...there were some smiths that did those types of things with these guns as well. However the barrel is a factory barrel with .45 Cal Model 1950 stamped in it so it wasn't modified. The frame is kinda odd looking and the cylinder doesn't come all the way up to the crane. The Model 1950 came 3 ways..#1 with .45ACP and used moon clips...#2 it was chambered in .45 Auto Rim (AR) and the rim was recessed into the cylinder...#3 200 of them were made in .45 (LC) in the 4 years from '53-'57. He may have a factory pistol. It has been to a smith possibly...it appears to have been Cerakoted. I think his pig has a little bit of lipstick still on it :).

He also has that Browning High Powder I'm looking at with a date of 1972 according to the ser # lookup that has been locked up for 40 years that looks almost unfired.

The 28-2 part I'm not so sure about. The Model 1950 later became the 26. He may think it says 28 when in fact it doesn't. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen him do this. Under better magnification (8X for me) I generally find his error.

Last edited: