Safe removal

crackerdave

I have a Diablo 12ga double barrel muzzle loader (6" barrels) that has a sabot slug hung up in one barrel.

My plan is to take the breech plug out and shake out the powder charge,then use a piece of hardwood dowel to drive the slug out the muzzle.
What do you think? Is this safe?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
If you have an air compressor, you could try blowing it out by removing the nipple and putting the compressor tip over the hole. It's worked for me before.
This idea is the least destructive in my opinion. If the obstruction comes out all you have to do is give it a good cleaning. I wouldn’t pull the breech plug until I tried this.

Hillbilly stalker

That will work. You might wanna pick one of these up next time you get a chance. They work off a little CO2 cartridge. If you gun has a nipple on it, it will blow everything right out. Shoot it in something soft and it won’t even damage a pure lead bullet. I think they are around $20.image.jpg

Hillbilly stalker

FYI If you get them breech plugs out, it’s a pretty good ideal to put some Never-seize on the threads before you put them back.

crackerdave

This idea is the least destructive in my opinion. If the obstruction comes out all you have to do is give it a good cleaning. I wouldn’t pull the breech plug until I tried this.
The slug is in very tight.

Hillbilly stalker

I bought these nylon brushes a t Harbor Freight for a couple dollars, they work perfect. A old cleaning mop jag will work also.image.jpg

Hillbilly stalker

If you got the breech plug out, slowly run a decking screw thru the bullet most of the length of the screw. Tie a strong piece of cord around the head of the screw, the other end around a tree or a pole. Snatch the barrel real hard out the breech end. It wii usually come out. If the screw pulls out of the lead….it will allow the lead to collapse on itself when you then drive it out. A shot of oil down the pipe will help it slide if it moves even a little bit. If you can go to somebody who has a compressor with a blow out tool, that would be the easiest. 550 parachute cord works for pulling the screw.

rosewood

Maybe I am missing the problem here. If the bullet is stuck and it has a removable breech plug, the simplest way is what the OP said, remove the plug, let the powder fall out and use a cleaning/ram rod or the like to push it out. Using a screw or compressed air is only necessary when you don't have a removable breech plug.

Rosewood

trial&error

Mechanically it is simplest to beat it out. Though an air compressor is the less intrusive, and you don't have to smack your gun with a hammer or hammer it on something. Think of all the simple things you have done that caused more troubles than you planned though in retrospect you should have seen.

rosewood

I guess the question no one asked. How did a slug get hung up in one barrel? Was it a squib load? Was it really tight when you was seating it?

Rosewood

flconch53

Mechanically it is simplest to beat it out. Though an air compressor is the less intrusive, and you don't have to smack your gun with a hammer or hammer it on something. Think of all the simple things you have done that caused more troubles than you planned though in retrospect you should have seen.
Often times getting a breach plug out is easier said than done. It can involve specialized tools. There is a reason most muzzleloading clubs have CO2 ball dischargers. If it is in tight enough that you can't move I would also try to.pull it before disassembling the gun.