Safe removal

rosewood

That may be true. However, I remove my breech plug every time I clean my gun. Never have an issue removing one. Only time I ever had an issue was when a friend left his uncleaned for a couple of years. Took an impact driver to get it out.

I also tried the compressed air once and it wouldn't budge the bullet in my barrel. So I assumed it wasn't a very good option.

I did once have to pull the bullet stuck in a barrel that didn't have a breech plug. The ram rod with the screw head bullet puller worked perfect in that instance. Someone forgot to drop in the powder in before the bullet...

Rosewood

rosewood

Cleaning a muzzle loader that has a removable breech plug without removing the breech plug makes about as much sense as cleaning a bolt action rifle with the bolt still closed.

Rosewood

crackerdave

I have a Diablo 12ga double barrel muzzle loader (6" barrels) that has a sabot slug hung up in one barrel.

My plan is to take the breech plug out and shake out the powder charge,then use a piece of hardwood dowel to drive the slug out the muzzle.
What do you think? Is this safe?
This worked.
The only problem was cleaning the powder from the female threads of the breech plug.I just flushed it out with wd40.

Thanks for all the replies!

rosewood

This worked.
The only problem was cleaning the powder from the female threads of the breech plug.I just flushed it out with wd40.

Thanks for all the replies!
Be sure to reinstall with antiseize compound.