Sage ESN Reel gear review

Taxman

I picked up the reel after reading a few positive remarks.
It comes with some weights you attach to the internal's of the
reel. It also has a very large arbor with easy to adjust drag. You just pick
one of the 3 weights that comes with the reel that balances your rod.

I previously balanced the 10' rod with an Einarsson and it worked well. However, I believe my arm was less fatigued with the new set up. Holding the rod high and parallell for 7 hours gets tiring. I really liked the large arbor retrieval speed. I know it sounds crazy but it seemes to be less
worry when fighting a big fish on a small creek when the reel is doing
most of the work.

Overall I think it is a specialized reel for a specialized rod. I didn't need it
to catch more fish but it made the experience a touch simpler and a tad
more pleasant for a long day on the river.

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thanks for the info. I’m thinking on getting a 10’ Nymphing rod and reel and the balancing of the setup seems to be key to the enjoyment of using this method.

Taxman

Thanks for the info. I’m thinking on getting a 10’ Nymphing rod and reel and the balancing of the setup seems to be key to the enjoyment of using this method.

Fyi, remember that a Euro rod is line weight description can be misleading.
for example, a 3wt is only a 3wt in the tip section. From my understanding,
the mid and bottom sections are more of a 4 or 5 wt. Thus you don't have to
baby a larger fish as long as your tippet selection is correct. Always made
me a little nervous when you see a 3wt bent double. I had considered going
to a 4wt last year after losing a couple because I was afraid of trying to turn
a running fish. A little research made me realize the rod would hold if the tippet would. Just my experience!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 5/6 reel on my 10' 3 wt, and it could still use just a bit more weight on the butt.

flyrod444

Most large arbor reels loaded with backing and line should balance a 10" 3 WT rod. Cheaper reels that weigh a little more might even help more. I have one 10 footer set up with a Ross large arbor reels and another with Lamson guru reel. I set both my 10' 3 WTS with 4 WT WF flyline which works great on them. With this line I'm able to cast large streamers and double weighted nymphs with ease if needed, and still euro nymph as well. Clients have landed alot of 20" + fish with these rods over the last two years on our private water. While the orvis 3 WTS land these large trout with out braking they are lacking in the ability to turn or control a large fish like stiffer 5 WT can. Makes for a great battle in my way of thinking.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most large arbor reels loaded with backing and line should balance a 10" 3 WT rod. Cheaper reels that weigh a little more might even help more. I have one 10 footer set up with a Ross large arbor reels and another with Lamson guru reel. I set both my 10' 3 WTS with 4 WT WF flyline which works great on them. With this line I'm able to cast large streamers and double weighted nymphs with ease if needed, and still euro nymph as well. Clients have landed alot of 20" + fish with these rods over the last two years on our private water. While the orvis 3 WTS land these large trout with out braking they are lacking in the ability to turn or control a large fish like stiffer 5 WT can. Makes for a great battle in my way of thinking.
The only problem I have with the 10' rods with a whippy tip is netting fish. I lose a lot of nice ones at the net. Of course, I probably wouldn't have hooked it anyway on a shorter rod. And I hate to carry a long-handled net.

Taxman

The only problem I have with the 10' rods with a whippy tip is netting fish. I lose a lot of nice ones at the net. Of course, I probably wouldn't have hooked it anyway on a shorter rod. And I hate to carry a long-handled net.

The long rods and short nets are a PITA. I have a 32" that works great
but I hate carrying it. I carry a 25" that is really too long but I will carry
it sometimes. Half the time I just dont carry a net any more.